shuddering F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2000, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question shuddering F150

Hi:
I have a 1995 F150 4x4 with an auto/transmission/overdrive and a 351. When I come to a stop and start out again while turning the truck shudders as if the u-joints are coming apart. I feels very strong simular to the feeling if you were to put it in 4WD low range and turn it sharp on dry pavement. Once I get to about 5 miles per hour it smooths out. The problem is much greater when heading up hill. I have been having this problem somewhat for about 40,000 miles but it has gotten noticably worse in the last 5,000 miles - truck has 100,000 miles on now. I believe I am starting to feel the vibration slightly on downhill 15 mph turns and noticed this weekend that it is much worse after driving for an hour. Let it cool down for a couple of hours and it is hardly noticable. I have had it in to the transmission shop and the front end shop several times but no one has been able to find the problem. I am getting desperate to find out what wrong as we are about to put 15,000 miles on the truck in the next 3 months and can't afford to have it break down during our busy season. Anyone have any ideas.

------------------
Jeff DeVore
http://cwoodcrafts.com

Old 08-07-2000, 07:36 PM
Jeff

I just posted a message about vibration. On my truck a 98 f250 there are O rings that center the wheel on the hub. You might check and see if these are on your truck mine wee missing altogether after a tire change. Hope it helps

Bubba

------------------
98 F250 LD 5.4 dual exhaust, K&N, Big tires

Old 08-08-2000, 12:09 AM
This only occurs when turning? Straight ahead is fine?

Old 08-08-2000, 09:35 AM
Yes this only happens when turning. Straight ahead is fine.

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Old 08-08-2000, 10:07 AM
Jeff,

Have you recently had any work done to the truck, like a brake job? The shuddering only while turning is a strange thing. That would lead me to believe it might be loose lug nuts, bad driveshaft u-joints, possible bad front wheel bearing or maybe even a bad tie rod end. I have a Bronco with a 351 and 350k miles on it right now til my new truck comes in, and I have seen just about every problem possible.

------------------
Boss™

Just Ordered 2001 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White/Silver 4x4, medium graphite leather, SC, SB, SS, 99L 5.4L, 44E tran, 7700# payload, Class III Tow, 3.73LS, Skids, Capts chairs, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless, HD everything
Planned Mods:
"Protected by Smith&Wesson" sticker, Westin Chromed Stainless Nerf Bars, ARE LS II bed cover, Bedrug™, Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter w/airbox mods, headers, Superchip, 3" body lift with at least 33's, alarm/pager/auto start system, stereo system

Old 08-08-2000, 06:14 PM
You didn't mention, but does your truck have manual or automatic front hubs. It sounds to me like your front hubs are locked. If you have automatic hubs, count the number of torx head screws on the cap, there will either be 3 or 5. the 5 screw hubs are good, the 3 screw hubs are pure crap. If you have the three screw hubs, I would suggest you either buy a set of WARN manual hubs, or find a set of 5 screw hubs at a junk yard. Just make sure you get the correct bearring retainer and lock nuts. let us know if this is any help to you.

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 08-08-2000, 06:49 PM
Hi:
Thanks to everybody for the responses. I did have work done about 5 months ago and they replaced the radius arm bushings, 4 shocks and aligned it but as I said before it was making the noise long before that.I have the 5 screw auto hubs. I don't think that the hubs are locked. Believe it or not the guy at the transmission shop was trying so hard last year to find the noise he had me drive (real slow) while he hung underneath to see if it was turning - crazy dude - and it wasn't. I still can't figure out why a problem like this would be heat related at all. Is it possible that it is related to the transmission at all or the oil they put in it? Or could it be power steering related?

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2000, 07:31 PM
Sorry jeff, I just remembered another common problem on these TTB(twin traction beam, thats ford's little name for your type of front suspension) font ends. get under the truck, and follow the main front axle beams up to where the pivot brakets are bolted to the crossmeember, the bolts can come loose, and the front axle can kind of just flop around. you don't really notice it unless you're turning real tight, because the weight of the truck holds everything together. if they are loose, you may have to become a contortionist to get them tight, but again good luck

------------------
BigBunnell

Old 08-10-2000, 02:05 PM
Thanks to everybody for their help in finding this problem. I took BigBunnell's advice and climbed underneath last night to see if the bolts were loose in the TTB's. What I found was a cross member cracked 3/4 of the way through. Looks like it has been breaking for quite a while. Ford is looking at it now. I have had this truck into the front end shop 5 times and the transmission shop 2 times in the last year telling them to totally check out the truck for me and no one caught it. Just looking at it from the front bending over without jackstands it shows right up. Makes me feel a little less secure about our local mechanics.

Old 08-11-2000, 01:17 PM
Found out today that my frame is also broke in two places. Looks like it's going to cost me in the neighborhood of $4,000.00 to fix.

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Old 08-11-2000, 01:18 PM
Unhappy

Found out today that my frame is also broke in two places. Looks like it's going to cost me in the neighborhood of $4,000.00 to fix.

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Old 08-11-2000, 08:03 PM
Unhappy

I know you probably don't feel this way, when your looking ahead at a $4000 repair, But you probably ought to fell lucky. That is Lucky that the front end of your truck didn't comeapart while you were driving down the road. BTW have you been able to come up with any probable reason for your current situation?

------------------
BigBunnell

Old 08-11-2000, 09:37 PM
The ford mechanic thought that it might be the large tubular after market front bumper that didn't let the frame flex with the road. I find this hard to believe. I don't know what brand bumper it is but I have been told by other people that it is a common after market bumper. I bought the truck with 27,000 miles on it and have never had it off the road. I pull a 2,000 lb. trailer 90% of the time and drive very conservately. My only thought is that maybe the guy before me took it off road and just pounded it. I don't know. Thanks again.

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Old 08-12-2000, 10:10 PM
Well, the frames on the older style fords would flex ALOT, but I wouldn't buy that explaination either. I think I would probably lay blame on the previous owner as well. BTW, Are they going to replace the frame, or try to repair it

------------------
BigBunnell

Old 08-12-2000, 10:47 PM
They said that they couldn't weld on it and they couldn't find a new frame in the United States - said it would take 3 weeks to make and deliver one but they found a used one that was guaranteed straight so I went for that since it would cost me $1,000.00 per week to rent a U-Haul.

------------------
Jeff DeVore

Quick Reply: shuddering F150