Noise caused by new gears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise caused by new gears?

Yes, I did search but did not find what I was looking for..

Last fall I had 4.56's installed by a reputable shop locally here in town. In the last few months I've noticed a small whine from somewhere around 35-55mph. It is very noticable when it goes down into OD. The noise is now more than noticable and I'm pretty sure that it is probably my rear end not set right.

My question is this, I only hear the noise when I press on the gas. When I let off the whine imediatly goes away. If the ring and pinion are not set right will it whine all the time even when coasting? I'm only hearing this noise when I have my foot on the throttle. Somtimes it almost sounds like it is comming from the transmission. Thanks in advance for your guys' input!

Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I have the same problem, it only does it for me when I hit the gas. Goes away when I'm coasting. Don;t know what the deal is, I had the gears replaced three times and the noise was there each time, but never before the gears

Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pinion is not set correctly.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
According to Randy's ring and pinion, a howl or whine during acceleration through a narrow or wide speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set-up. If the noise changes while turning, could be bad carrier bearings.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
I have the same problem with my gear swap. I had the factory 3.55 replaced back in January to a 4.10 . It had a whine to it and they replaced the ring and pinion got it back and it still whined. It did it at the same speed on both sets of gears. Between 40 and 50 mph both times. Took it back the last time and they said that most aftermarket gears have a slight whine to them. Then took it to a Ford dealer and the tech said that that is actually quiet. So I changed the fluid this weekend and checked everything and it appeared ok. I'll run her til she blows up. Keep us posted on your problem.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people had similar problems! And thanks for your responses.

I figured it was the ring and pinion not set right, I was just wondering if maybe anything else could be causing this noise before I start raising heck with everyone. Its not that the noise so much bothers me, I just wonder what kind of damage can occur or how fast it can cause excess wear.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Makes me a little nervous with my pending gear swap. I ordered Genuine gears, 4wheelparts sent me Motive 4.56 for my rear end.
Anyway, hope all goes well. What brand of gears are you running?

btw, haven't seen you on the Nebraska thread for a while. Everything OK?

Last edited by jump n; 06-23-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
your shops arent double checking things. hell your preload may not even be right.

i've exploded 2 genuine gear 4.88's now, i've learned my lessons (i dont like crush sleeves anymore), im running a yukon rear RP now.

your axles should not make any noise, mine never do until the day they exploded. on the way to work both times i heard the howl start and knew i probably wouldn't make it and never did make it.

its possible to have the pinion just deep enough that the cuts are hanging off the drive and ok on the coast side. or even possibly your backlash is too tight, closer to 8 thou and you'll notice more humming.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the response Klitch. I think I've had this howl for a few thousand miles now. I'm gonna have to get it into the shop and checked out I guess.

Jumpn - I've got Ford Racing gears, and I've been watching the Nebraska Forum here and there but I guess I just havn't had much to say lately. I was really hoping to make it to the meet at Mahoney but wasn't able to get there. Seems like I always have so much going on this year.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
dont wanna steal the thread... but i just had gears installed in my truck as well and i hear a whine like a diesel almost whenever im going like 70 mph and just let off the gas/music off/ ac off so i can hear it and its buggin me really bad and dont know what it is. I took it back to the guys that installed it and they said the wear pattern is great and the oil was replaced now ive never heard this noise prior to install any ideas bc i dont know if there is a whine when accelerating bc exhaust is just way too loud

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
did they do fresh bearings like a master install kit which has all of them?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
did they do fresh bearings like a master install kit which has all of them?

If you were talking to me then yeah they said they had master install kits on both front and rears

Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I just learned to deal with it. Still annoys the **** out of me though

Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jditta
I just learned to deal with it. Still annoys the **** out of me though
i kinda am too but dont want to have ne thing go wrong in the long run ya know

Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
They used master install kits on both of mine too. I took it back to the shop and a guy drove it and listened to the noise I was hearing. He inspected what he could and said there wasn't any slack in it or anything and the noise seems to be fairly constant. He thinks that they should be able to open it up and adjust it a little to fix the problem.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out I guess when they open it up

Quick Reply: Noise caused by new gears?