Fluid Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2000, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fluid Leakage

Howdy!Really enjoy reading everyones messages. I have a 97 F-150 4x4 SC,4.6L,3.55 diff. I'm leaking fluid from the either the Axle Shaft Oil seal or brake fluid from the wheel cylinder in rear right(passenger side).I can see where it had leak out on to the underside of the axle casing and also seeped out at the bottom of backing plate on the wheel. How can I determine if it is the axle shaft oil seal or the wheel cylinder is leaking? What are remedies to fix that and the cost if possible? Your kind response would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Old 08-12-2000, 09:39 PM
You need to jack up the truck, pull that wheel off and remove the brake drum. look carefully at the brake cylinder. If it is leaking, it will probably look moist, and more than likely the dust seals will look swollen. If this is the case, you will need to either rebuild the wheel cylinder, or just replace it. I think they usually run about $30-$40. Its a pretty simple job, just take apart the brakes, put in a new cylinder, put it back together, and bleed the brakes.

axle seals, can be a little trickier to identify. Basically, if you have a leak and its not the brake cylinder, its the axle seal. In which case, you have to remove the axle shaft and replace the seal.

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 08-13-2000, 06:36 PM
Be careful! Brakes are not as easy as they use to be. Anti-lock brakes, which you probably have on the rear, can be a little tricky to bleed. You should at least purchase a good manual before tackling a wheel cylinder R&R. You are correct about the two types of fluid, grease or brake. Gear lube has an unmistakable odor that you should be able to recognize if you are going to change a whell cylinder. If you cannot tell the difference between brake fluid and gear lube on the backing plate I recommend you take your vehicle to a shop.

Old 08-13-2000, 06:37 PM
Talking

BigBunnell, Thanks for the reply. It looks like I need to replace the axle seal after all. Brake cylinder looks okay and to be sure of the diagnosis, had a local garage comfirm it. Not to thrill about the leaking axle seal and fixing it, but at least I know what and where it is leaking from. Thanks again for the reply!

Quick Reply: Fluid Leakage