4x4 problems?? lost... NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 problems?? lost... NEED HELP!

Alright guys i got a problem for you,

I have a 99 f150 4x4 just so you know and i got sum problems with the 4x4 to start off over the last year i had some problems with the vacum actuator and i had to tap it a few times to let it lock in and out of 4x4 at times. But not untill the last weekend i broke a boot on the cv shaft and i got home and changed that whole shaft out well obviously there is no way to put that shaft in backwords or anything other than that so i did that right but i went back out on the road to take for a test drive and every time i turn right i got a bad shudder like the truck was running in 4x4 and it was bothering me like it was bad.. so i jacked the truck up and started looking at everythin and everythin was fine until i reached over to spin the passenger tire( that is the side i chaged the cv shaft on by the way) and the tire spun a half turn and stoped so it was in 4x4. Than i relized i would just tap tht vacum actuator and it didnt go out of 4x4 at all the actuator was not workin on the dash it would click 4 times than switch but no movement below. So i moved the actuator lever physically to the 2x4 position where it usually would be unlocked. And took the truck for a ride and it still hoped and shuttereed bad like 4x4 so i went under and it didnt move really. So i messed around with it for a while i checked the fluid fluid was fine not old just had flushed about 6months ago and it use to work i just dont get how it can still be locked in 4x4 is there a cluth in the inside of that transfercase that allows it to lock or sumthing? or what does that rod go to? what could it be? like i heard somethin how forks could be broke not sure if thats right but how do i diagnose this. I am very mechanical and do my own work but now i am confused on which way to go after the problem. I am thinkin its something inside the transfer case but i just dont know where to start.

Also a little sidenote the truck has 358000 miles on it so i guess alot is possible but the 4x4 always worked flawless before this and its used all the time so i would like to be able to get an answer on what to check for or what to do..
Thanks guys!
David

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
any ideas? i need to get it fixed asap...
thanks
David

Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Well I had about the same thing going on .. I replaced the Hub Bearing assemblies you can get them at O reilly for about 140.00 each side .. That seemed to help a little.. I also put shocks on the front and this helped a little bit more since the rubber bushings on the old shocks were worn out. Now today I am Messing with CV axles.. Also does your truck use friction modifier in the rear end I put this in mine and it helped with the shutter feeling that I used to feel when turning and accelerating at the same time .. I also took grease and a brush and started greaseing all of the rubber bady mounts on mine and it made it a little bit better .. I only have 164,000 on my 2003 FX4 and I can remember it riding like POOP when I bought it 17 months ago with only 120.000 miles on it .. I think maybe I am just used too driving 2 wheel drive vehicles and all 4x4's are noisey.. Maybe.. But I can say after spending over 800.00 this week on stuff I do feel a little safer driving the truck..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
no i know the truck is in 4x4 replacing the shocks and all tht wont help the shutter the way i want to i want to fix the problem.. It is stuck in 4x4 and wont come out... i dont know wht to look for i have a appt at the ford garage tuesday so well c how that goes i guess..
well thanks anyways
David

Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 AM
so how did it go?? i have an 01 and when i went to ut some gas in it the other day it made a pretty loud popping sound while turning, i thought it was just my tire knockin some ice loose(it has been a real sh*#y winter for missouri this year) got home turned the truck off never thought anything else about it. started to leave for work today and kinda got stuck in a drift in my driveway came to complete stop put it in nuetral turned it to 4hi put it back and gear and click click click, driver side front tire was not spinning cranked the wheels some more to the left and gave it more gas parts started falling out of my passenger side boot. do i just replace the whole cv joint or what..not really sure where to start.

Quick Reply: 4x4 problems?? lost... NEED HELP!