stuck in 4h or 4L ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stuck in 4h or 4L ?

hi,
I know there are a lot of threads on here but really havent found my exact problem just maybe at best,, comparisions . I own a 1999 expedition eddie B.5.4 with 173,000 miles and bought it from a very wealthy and very particular man who finally just gave it to his company to use but it just sat. Ive known the owner and truck for years and have never know of the orignal owner using 4wheel anything . so , I bought it and drove it bout 500 miles and the other day I shifted it in 4L to see what 4L was about and drove maybe 10 feet and then back to neutral and brake depressed and shifted to 4h then to a4wd and shifted back into drive and it stayed in 4h or 4L dont know which. The awd switch on the dash panel dosent Illuminate the little awd, 4h, or 4L and in the dash gauge area no lighted 4x4 0r low range except when I first put in run position . I ended up drivin back home about 40 mph 30 miles and Im concerned I"ll tear up something if I have to drive it 30 more miles to a dealer.. sorry for the lenghtly thread just trying to clarifly, so
1. is the awd switch suspose to light up like everything else in the truck ?
2. How does one find out if the problem is in the switch ? and if so how do you remove the switch ?
3. is it in a connection somewhere ? I have checked the #104 fuse (ok)
4. if you guys say its the shift motor , do I replace the sh motor or the whole unit and in doing so , anything I need to watch out for ?
5 . Whats the best manual to buy for working on this truck ?
6. is there a way to at least temporaily get this truck out of 4h or 4L ?
Sorry again but I"m in a jam !!!
Thanks so much for any help ! anxiously waiting !

Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone answer any of these questions ?

1. is the awd switch suspose to light up like everything else in the truck ?

2. How does one find out if the problem is in the switch ? and if so how do you remove the switch ?

3. is it in a connection somewhere ? I have checked the #104 fuse (ok)

4. if you guys say its the shift motor , do I replace the sh motor or the whole unit and in doing so , anything I need to watch out for ?

5 . Whats the best manual to buy for working on this truck ?

6. is there a way to at least temporaily get this truck out of 4h or 4L ,can I remove transfer shift motor and turn the rod that motor would attach to ?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
This guy needs a hand fella's. He did start a few threads in the "Engines" forum about this problem, in desperation. They are here -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...lly-stuck.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...-shift-ok.html

Quick Reply: stuck in 4h or 4L ?