Richmond Gear 4.56's for a 4 x 4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richmond Gear 4.56's for a 4 x 4?

Hi,

I am having the gears upgraded in my 2006 5.4L 4 X 4 Supercab. Instead of buying my own gears and taking them in to be installed, I figured I would let the local shop put in what gears they want since they are giving a warranty.

They told me the 4.56's they would get for me were from Richmond Gear. First of all...does Richmond make 4.56 reverse cut gears for the 8.8 front end? I know they make 4.56 gears for the 9.75 rear but in some quick searches I did not see the reverse cut 4.56's for the 8.8 front end. If any one can confirm they they exist I would appreciate it. If they don't exist I will have to call the shop to ask what them heck they are doing.

Next question is...are Richmond gears alright? I've heard of a lot of people on here use Yukons but I figured it was best to let the shop doing the work use what they want. After the install, how much break in is required? The shop said most of that would be taken care of when I got the truck back and that is was OK to take it on a 300 mile highway trip after the install? Does this seem right? I told them that getting the gears installed before a long highway trip was a concern of mine because I did not want to wreck new gears. They said it would be fine and what was necessary would be taken care of before I got the truck back.

Sorry for the long post but any advice on my questions would be appreciated. Gears are a pretty big investment and I want to make sure things are done right.

Pat

Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 PM
1). If it is a reputable shop, I am sure they know what gears are available for your axles. I don't personally know if Richmond make the aforementioned gears, but it couldn't hurt to confirm with the shop what they will be installing.

2). Yes, Richmond gears are a quality product. They are very popular with the drag racing crowd, and for good reason: they are cost effective and made well.

3). When you buy a new vehicle (and thus, new gears) are you concerned about breaking in the gears? Assuming everything is installed and adjusted properly, the gears themselves are not defective and the fluid levels and viscosity are correct for your application, I don't see any reason to worry about them. Besides, you mentioned the shop is warrantying their work and the products.

I hope that helps you a out a little bit.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
1). If it is a reputable shop, I am sure they know what gears are available for your axles. I don't personally know if Richmond make the aforementioned gears, but it couldn't hurt to confirm with the shop what they will be installing.

2). Yes, Richmond gears are a quality product. They are very popular with the drag racing crowd, and for good reason: they are cost effective and made well.

3). When you buy a new vehicle (and thus, new gears) are you concerned about breaking in the gears? Assuming everything is installed and adjusted properly, the gears themselves are not defective and the fluid levels and viscosity are correct for your application, I don't see any reason to worry about them. Besides, you mentioned the shop is warrantying their work and the products.

I hope that helps you a out a little bit.
All very good points Tornadom! Thanks for the response. The only thing I might do is call them to confirm that the fronts they are getting are reverse cut and for an 8.8. Hopefully the shop does not get to irritated with me questioning them but it is probably best to make sure they are ordering the correct stuff.

Quick Reply: Richmond Gear 4.56's for a 4 x 4?