questions/build thread for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i just found some cotton mossy oak yesterday! thanks.

how do you remove the headliner? i have a center roof console and im not sure how to get it out?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i took mine off i just slowly pulled the top fabric leaving behind the foam stuff. just go slow so you can watch and make sure that the foam doesnt start coming off other wise you will have spots in the head liner. and the roof console, i am not sure about. my truck doesnt have one and i have never taken one out. i would open all the compartments and look for srews...if not then it will probably just pull down from clips. just go slowly and see if it will start coming down.

and when you do go to put the new fabric on, make sure you have 2 more people to help you. I had them hold up the fabric and i started at the front of the headliner and push it down then just had them hold it up as i moved toward the back of it pushing it all down. just got to take your time because most of the time it is a 1 time shot with the spray glue. and just an extra tip, i left about an inch of fabric all around the headliner and used contact glue to wrap it over and glue it to the top side. factory doesnt come like this and thats why mine was starting to come down on the edges. just a little extra stregnth always help. good luck and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
ok, i was just going to glue it over the factory brown headliner, i think it would work the same. where did you get the contact glue?

i bought 3 yards of it. it is 60" wide. is that wide enough that it can be put down in one big piece instead of two pieces?

im also thinking about putting it on the doors where my handle is. like this guy did with the black. im also thinking about doing the bottom like he did but with camo.

how do you think this will look?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:11 AM
yes it is wide enough. i only used 2 yards so you will have plenty left over. only thing that makes me worried about putting it over the old one is it makes it more likely it will fall down...just because it is older and adds more weight to it.

and i cant see that picture but just be careful about going overboard with the camo. IMO there is a point where it goes too much. but its your truck so do whatever you think will look the best!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM
okay...so i got another engine question for yall. i have some new codes now...it now reads lean on bank 1 and 2. and it is cylinder 4 misfire. what could cause it to run lean? i did my fuel filter and put all my air box back to stock. still shows lean...but here is the real kicker...when i reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, it runs great. smooth and like a dream. i drive it a couple times until the check engine light comes on. runs a little rough with less power. then i drive it a couple more times and the check engine light flashes and it runs really rough just like before. i have done this many times and it still acts the same in the same order...its almost like the computer is tricking the engine to think something is wrong and it runs rough. which makes me think something electrical. to me, if it was a bad fuel pump, it would run rough and under power from the start. what do yall think? would bad o2 sensors throw this code?

thanks for the help!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
i would guess its the O2 sensor.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
thats what i was thinking but the guy at advance auto parts told me o2 sensors would throw a different code...but then again i dont think he knew what he was talking about because the only solution he could give me was "check spark plugs" haha

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I would check your EGR. If your oxygen sensors were bad then it would only throw codes per one side. A vacuum leak would cause your truck to run lean. You need to check the PCV valve tube because those things are known to get hot and warp and then crack. Because it is both banks, it would have to be something on the intake side of things. You have to have low vacuum or something. Only other thing I could think of is low fuel pressure. Pull the line off of the fuel pressure regulator to check that. If there is gas in the line then you need to replace the regulator. Maybe your MAF sensor is dirty? If it was when you re-set the comp then it wouldnt run fine. Im saying vac leak or EGR

I apologize, I am all over the place.. scatterbrained. Its been a long day.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 AM
i am definetly gonna check my vaccum lines...just gotta find the time to get under there and check all of them. lol

but to me (and this may be my lack of engine knowledge) if i have a vaccum leak, why would it run great for a while until the light comes on? if i had a leak, it seems it would still run rough even before the light comes on...or does the light come on and the computer tries to compensate for it then it runs rough? these electronic things just put my head in a spin. lol

but i am glad to say, i am making some progress...i am down to 3 codes, where as before i had as many as 8 at one point. replacing the Cat converter i think was a big step so now i just want to get this figured out before i mess up another set of them. none the less, the truck is running better than it has in a long time...but still not a comfortable ride when its running rough like this.

thanks for the help though!

p.s. you wouldnt happen to know where i can find a diagram to all the vaccum lines? i know i can just look and find them but im bound to miss one and the one i miss will be the one i need to fix with my luck. lol

Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes, PM jbrew i know he has one. Im almost positive your EGR is messin up

Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn i cant believe i missed this thread!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:59 PM
any updates?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 AM
well nothing major...wallet is still really thin. lol

but as for the engine. i cleaned the throttle body again and in greater detail and cleaned my EGR valve. truck runs 100 times better but CEL still came on and i just havent had time to go and get it read. something is still wrong because i can still feel it but im definetly narrowing in on the problem. lol

Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by willys5555
well nothing major...wallet is still really thin. lol

but as for the engine. i cleaned the throttle body again and in greater detail and cleaned my EGR valve. truck runs 100 times better but CEL still came on and i just havent had time to go and get it read. something is still wrong because i can still feel it but im definetly narrowing in on the problem. lol
Can you take a picture of your engine compartment ? - so I can see how you have the vac harness connected. .. ? Ford flipped some of the lines around on the 4six. So the 5fours aren't always the same. That's all I have pics of.

Here's my throttle body gallery, I'm not sure it will help -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...albums-tb.html

But yea, if I could see where your plugged in, I could tell if it's connected right.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet thread, I skipped this one some how...

I'm ready to see you dive into that front axle you got

Quick Reply: questions/build thread for my truck