Grinding noise when engaging 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise when engaging 4x4

I have the shift on the fly for my 2007 Lariat. Yesterday was about -30 (-5 F) and the roads got really bad. I was going about 40 km/h (25 mph) and I flicked it into 4x4H. After a half second delay I started to have a very loud grinding noise, I promptly turned it off, reengaged it and there was a bit of a clunk (which the clunk has happened before, but no grinding noise this time). I left it running the rest of the day with no problem.

Was there maybe ice on the hubs or something? I am a little worried, I still have factory warranty but dont want my truck to be gone for months.

On another question, I can drive around with 4x4H and it wont damage it correct? I know 4x4L the diffs are locked so you can tear the gearing apart and cant go faster than 60km/h.

Thanks guys

Old 01-03-2010, 01:36 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When shifting into 4WD if the rear wheels are spinning it will grind and or bang. 4Hi and 4Lo lock the front and rear driveshafts together. If the rear are spinning and the front at turning at a different speed 1 of 2 things happen. By freak occurrence the splines mesh and every thing starts turning together. That is when you hear a bang. Or the splines try to mesh and do not succeed. When the splines do not mesh you hear a grinding noise. If the front wheels are turning at the same speed, or very close, as the rear wheels then the splines mesh and there is no bang or grind.

You should not drive on dry roads in 4x4. The reason for that is the front wheels do not turn in the same ark as the rear wheels. In a turn they go around a larger ark so they rotate at a different speed than the rears. it is also very difficult to adjust the tire pressure so that all the wheels end up having the same diameter. Even the slightest difference can be important. The tighter the turn the greater the difference in speed. When you are in 4Ho or 4Lo both the front and rear driveshafts are locked together so they turn at the same speed. So when you try to turn in a circle the front wheels want to rotate at a different speed than the rear. On a slippery surface either the front or the rear wheels sill slip or both the front and rear can slip. On a dry surface none of the wheels can slip. What will happen in this case is the drivetrain from the transfercase to the wheels will strain against each other and cause a bind. When this happens either a wheel will slip and release the bind, or if you are going slow enough the truck will stop moving. If your engine has enough torque you can break parts. That is why you should not drive in 4x4 on dry roads. An All Wheel Drive system uses different methods connect the two driveshafts to allow them to turn at different speeds .

To address your symptoms: Where the rear wheels spinning when you flicked into 4Hi?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
When shifting into 4WD if the rear wheels are spinning it will grind and or bang. 4Hi and 4Lo lock the front and rear driveshafts together. If the rear are spinning and the front at turning at a different speed 1 of 2 things happen. By freak occurrence the splines mesh and every thing starts turning together. That is when you hear a bang. Or the splines try to mesh and do not succeed. When the splines do not mesh you hear a grinding noise. If the front wheels are turning at the same speed, or very close, as the rear wheels then the splines mesh and there is no bang or grind.

You should not drive on dry roads in 4x4. The reason for that is the front wheels do not turn in the same ark as the rear wheels. In a turn they go around a larger ark so they rotate at a different speed than the rears. it is also very difficult to adjust the tire pressure so that all the wheels end up having the same diameter. Even the slightest difference can be important. The tighter the turn the greater the difference in speed. When you are in 4Ho or 4Lo both the front and rear driveshafts are locked together so they turn at the same speed. So when you try to turn in a circle the front wheels want to rotate at a different speed than the rear. On a slippery surface either the front or the rear wheels sill slip or both the front and rear can slip. On a dry surface none of the wheels can slip. What will happen in this case is the drivetrain from the transfercase to the wheels will strain against each other and cause a bind. When this happens either a wheel will slip and release the bind, or if you are going slow enough the truck will stop moving. If your engine has enough torque you can break parts. That is why you should not drive in 4x4 on dry roads. An All Wheel Drive system uses different methods connect the two driveshafts to allow them to turn at different speeds .

To address your symptoms: Where the rear wheels spinning when you flicked into 4Hi?

Thanks for the response. The back end kicked out so I slowed it down and threw it into 4x4 so the back wheels could have very well been spinning.

I didnt know that in 4H it locked in the front diffs, I know a couple toyotas I used to drive around for work the front diffs didnt lock until 4L so I wrongfully assumed the ford was the same.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
dont worry it does it to me to sometimes when i engage 4hi and the rear wheels can slip really easily like mud,ice and snow or sand i hear a little grinding i just let off the gas then clunk and its fully engaged and thats from a complete stop its just cause the rear wheels can spin reallly easily, just make sure if you engage it on the fly let off the gas so the wheels dont spin and it wont grind

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when engaging 4x4