Just replaced CV half shaft axle have ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced CV half shaft axle have ??

Hello, I had a bad inner boot on the passenger side half shaft so I replaced with a new half shaft. Everything went fine but when I havr the front end jacked up by the frame with the tire hanging off the ground it will only turn about 1/8 turn. If I drop it and jack up the a arm to get the tire off the ground it spins just fine. The driver side will spin no matter where I jack the truck up. Took it for a drive and drove fine in 2 wheel and 4 wheel. Any thoughts? 2002 F150 btw, thanks.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know with the truck off the 4wd is engaged. with one tire on the ground and an open diff up front, one tire should spin. not sure how they should act with both in the air.

put both in the air again and this time put the truck in neutral and see how things go.

also, where did you get the replacement half-shaft? if not from ford keep an eye on that new half-shaft and check for binding and popping. sometimes the replacements are a little short. you most likely don't have to worry about it, but thought i'd let you know.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:37 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Was it a new shaft? Regardless it should not bind. was the axle nut properly torqued? If the shaft doesn't sit tight in the hub it can bind because it is not turning in a circle but an oval.

Quick Reply: Just replaced CV half shaft axle have ??