4x4 Problem?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Problem?? HELP!!

'03 F-150- Heritage Edition 5.4L Electronic 4x4 shift

I know there are a million different posts on here dealing w/ 4x4 and I have looked through many of them. Thought I'd ask w/ my specific symptoms though...

4x4 seems to work only when she wants. Light comes on for both 4 wheel high and low and I can hear a small sound that seems to be the transfer shift motor (not certain as I only have myself around and cant engage it and be under the truck at the same time) Rear WILL go into low range but the front axle doesn't get power in either high or low range?

Was working intermittently, more often than not but now it hardly ever works. Also when it does/was working it seemed to be getting more power to the rear than front (wanted to fish tail when driving straight) wasn't sure if it was because the rear is so light or an issue? (or just me) On multiple occasions I have gotten stuck. I shift into 4x4 when coming to a snowy or muddy spot, it seems to engage (I can hear typical noises from the transfer case) only to get stuck w/ only power to the rear. When I towed it back onto dry pavement it DEFINATELY engages and you can feel it binding on sharp turns.

Disconnected the wire plug from the transfer case and cleaned it, no effect. From other reading seems the forks or vacuum lines are big problems, any way to tell which it could be (or something else) with my problems? Haven't had time to get it on jack stands and try to spin the tires yet, that'll be my next step. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Quick Reply: 4x4 Problem?? HELP!!