Squeak/ cherp coming from rear of truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeak/ cherp coming from rear of truck

hey guys, yesterday my truck decided to make this squeak/ cherp noise when i let off the gas pedal at lower speeds and slowing down. It seems like it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. its not the brakes b.c when i apply the brakes the sound doesnt change or make it go away. it seems to be worse when the truck is going towards the right when turning. Ive searched the forum and im getting alot of " replace U-Joints in the drive shaft" and "wheel bearings" but i dont know what to do.

I lifted the truck off the ground and spun the axle and i got it to cherp once and then couldnt get it to do it again until i drove it.

So if anyone has some input it would be really appreciated the noise is getting really annoying and doesnt sound to healthy. kind of a grinding cherp noise.....

Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Worst Case Scenerio/my middle name

Sounds like a u-joint to me...you can check it, block you tires so your truck dont run ur *** over,put ur tranny in neutral and see if theres any play in the joint. It'd be a good idea to jump on it asap if thats the case, I let mine go too long and it ended up wasting a pinion bearing which in turn wasted every bearing in the rear and chewed up the spider gears and ring & pinion gears. so a 12 dollar part ended up costing me a whole rear-end....mucho$$$$$

Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
ok. ill try to fix that this weekend and see if thats the problem. there seems to be some play in the drive shaft but isnt that just backlash?

If anyone else has some suggestions please let me know.

Also, does anyone recomend a specific U joint. should i get the greaseable one or sealed?

tHANKS

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Greaseables.

You have to look closely to see exactly where the play is when shaking or twisting the driveshaft.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Deffinately get greaseable u-joints. Yea there will be some back lash in the rear-end, but you should be able to distinguish the difference in backlash and play in the universal joint. While you under there, it'd be a good idea to check the ones in you velocity joint(I think thats the proper term) too, front driveline as well if you have a 4x4...

Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 PM
ok thankx ill check it out and see if thats really the problem or not

Quick Reply: Squeak/ cherp coming from rear of truck