Rear End Locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Locker

I got a 2005 F150 supercrew 4x4. I was wanting to put a locker in the rear end so both wheels spin. Do you guys have any recommendation or is this even possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 3.73 gears if this means anything. As u can see i'm kinda of clueless.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
A typical stock "four wheel drive" truck with open differentials is really only two wheel drive (one front and one rear). An open (not locked or limited slip) differential will transmit power to the wheel with the LEAST traction. Most transfer cases don't have differentials so you get one driven front wheel and one driven rear wheel. A true four wheel drive will have a locked front and rear diff. If you want to go that route though, put a limited slip or manual locker in the front because a locked front diff won't allow you to turn much.

There are basically 3 types of locker for you to choose from.
1. Manual lockers
2. Automatic lockers
3. Limited slip (O.K., not technically a locker)

With the manual lockers you have a choice of air: http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Air-L...eering/11.aspx flip a switch, a solenoid sends air from a tank and engages the locker.
Electric: http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm flip a switch, an electromagnet engages the locker.
or manual: http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/Products/Lo...9/Default.aspx pull a lever and a cable engages the locker.

With an automatic locker, http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...ials/index.htm, it "ratchets" going around a corner and locks when going straight. No action is required by the driver.

A limited slip differential will transfer torque to the non slipping wheel but doesn't lock them completely together. Besides the E-Locker, about all of the detroit's are limited slip http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...ials/index.htm

After that, your budget will dictate what you will get.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And there is a good possibility, he already has a limited slip.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't think I have limited slip. I was stuck in the snow and my rear right wheel and front left wheel were the only ones spinning. I would like to make so that in 4 wheel drive I'll have both rear wheels and one front wheel spinning, and in 2 wheel drive both back wheels will spin, is this possible.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:45 PM
What is the door code for your axle. If it is 2 numbers, it is an open. If it is a letter and a number, it is limited slip. Just because only 2 spun, does not mean you do not have limited slip. It can be defeated.
If you do not do any hard core off-roading, you would be better off with limited slip over a locker.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM
It is B something, I just back upped and punched it and looked out my mirror, it looks like both wheels are spinning. So it must be limited slip. I just figured that both spinning at the same time would be better. Maybe what I really need is what mental was talking about and having both front wheels lock when needed.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Unless you are a hard core off roader, you don't want a front locker.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Is limited slip, better then both turning at the same time.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Again, the front shouild really only be an open Locker or LS up front could cause problems steering in slippery conditions. The vehicle will have a tendency to go straight, no matter how the wheels are turned.
I would verify that the the LS rear is okay with no problems, and leave it at that. If you must, get a locker that can be manually locked, and use it only when going straight.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Unless you use your truck for off road alot, a front locker will not be of much use for you. Now a rear locker is nice to have, i would recommend a eaton e-locker...that are pretty good products.

Just to give you an ideal of how something will drive with front and rear lockers locked..my jeep has both front and rear lockers and it is nearly impossible to make a turn with both locked. when we take it offroad and climbing ridiculously steep hills is about the only time i use the front locker. I can't even make turns on the trails with the front locker locked. Most all the time im offroad i keep the rear locked and thats about it...So unless you do some serious offroading i wouldn't throw away a bunch of money at a front locker. A rear locker you may get a little bit more use out of...I would get one.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Problem with putting a locker on the rear, is the LS will have to be ripped out. Personally, I prefer the LS. I have a locker on my 09, and would prefer the LS as the locker on the 09, come into play in 4x4. LS is there at all times, for things like wet roads, etc. A locker, even in the rear only can really only be used in a straight line, unless you have really slippery conditions. The rears have to turn at 2 different speeds in a turn.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
So does the LS mean that even without it being it 4x4 that if one will slips then the other one kicks in and they both turn, or does it only kick in when in 4x4. Or does it mean that if one wheel spins, the power transfers to the other wheel and only 1 spin at a time?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by ski21
So does the LS mean that even without it being it 4x4 that if one will slips then the other one kicks in and they both turn, or does it only kick in when in 4x4. Or does it mean that if one wheel spins, the power transfers to the other wheel and only 1 spin at a time?
LS is anytime, and a replacement locker would be anytime. It is just the way the 09 up works in that it is only in 4x4. You would have to remember to engage the locker, assuming it is a manual engagement. Only problem with the automatic ones is they can be very noisy, as they ratchet when not engaged.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
i'd go with a E-locker in both differentials and put switches right on the dash in a convient position. for the people that says having a front locker is going to make it impossible to steer and will pull your truck straight no matter how far your wheels are turned, god come on thats aggravatin to read it aint right. aint yall ever been muddin or drove on completely snowed roads or even loose grass/dirt after some rain??? when your in 2wd your being pushed and you can go straight when turned all the way if your front tires break traction. when your in 4x4 your being pushed from the rear tires but the front tires are PULLING you whichever direction they are turned. im gonna assume its understood that you'd never use a front locker on pavement or equivilant(you wouldnt need to anyways) because your outside tires have to spin faster than the inside ones and this would kill a locked diff. the only time you'd ever use your front locker is when you need extra traction, because you aint got no traction!! so imagine your in a mud hole now(or any other no traction situation), is it gonna matter if one wheels spinnin slightly faster than the other? hell no, its only going to help you when you have two wheels pulling you instead of one wheel pulling and one wheel draggin and counting against you...... im done rantin now and will simply say i'd recomend two high quality E-lockers that will fully lock when engaged but be as open as possible when disengaged, in BOTH differentials

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Unless you are a hard core off roader, you don't want a front locker.
why? there are alot of everyday situations that aint offroad that a front locker is very nice to have. like drivin down a muddy road or hell even a few months ago at a bustop where we had to park on top of grass on a very slight incline with a flurry of snow, went to leave my 4x4 was only spinnin 2 wheels. it took forever and having to power my way backwards to get out cuz i didnt have the necessary traction. having a SELECTABLE front locker is an extremely good idea if your competent enough to use it.

Originally Posted by kingfish51
Again, the front shouild really only be an open Locker or LS up front could cause problems steering in slippery conditions. The vehicle will have a tendency to go straight, no matter how the wheels are turned.
I would verify that the the LS rear is okay with no problems, and leave it at that. If you must, get a locker that can be manually locked, and use it only when going straight.
again, when your in 4x4 your front wheels are pullin you side to side not just aiming you and lettin the rear tires push you there. if your on pavement of course its a bad idea to use one cuz wheels have to spin at differnt speed for outside/inside tires but you wouldnt need extra traction in the first place if you have that much traction. dont yall understand that when your in need of a front locker is when you have no traction and need all four wheels to spin to get moving, like when your in a mud hole or on top of snow and your locked in and your tires have no solid traction to start with so it wont hurt one bit if your outside tire is spinnin over the snow or mud any faster than the inside one its ony going to help because it is spinning. ugh think of driving around a corner on top of snow in 4x4. if you are going forward and let off the gas and try to go around the corner your front tires are just aiming you and have no traction so you will go in the direction of momentum and go straight into a ditch, if you give it some gas around the same turn your front wheels will be pulling you through the turn and pulling your truck outta the line of momentum and you'll turn as scheduled.

Quick Reply: Rear End Locker