Cheap way to get rid of Open diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap way to get rid of Open diff?

My truck has an open diff and i was wondering what the best rout to get rid of it was w/o spending a ton of money. Im not welding it up either, i know its the cheapest. I DD the truck so i really dont want a spool and i would like to stay away from a full locker. Im pretty mechanical inclined but have never done gears or rear ends before.
Current rear is a 9.75 w/ 3.55 (unlimited slip), I would love to change gears too but that is just to much $$$
So what suggestions do you guys have?
LS? Tru Trac? other?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is really no 'cheap' way out of this. I installed a Eaton/Detroit Tru-Trac in mine (07) and absolutely love it. If I remember correctly it was around $500 for the unit. Only other thing to do would be to scourer the 'bone yards' for a used LSD carrier for cheep

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
There is really no 'cheap' way out of this. I installed a Eaton/Detroit Tru-Trac in mine (07) and absolutely love it. If I remember correctly it was around $500 for the unit. Only other thing to do would be to scourer the 'bone yards' for a used LSD carrier for cheep
where did you get your tru track from?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Can you give some more info on your tru-trac install? Im loolking into doing that on my 04, from what i understand the tru trac works like clutch packs but it is gear driven and still allows L/S

Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jordanp252
Can you give some more info on your tru-trac install? Im loolking into doing that on my 04, from what i understand the tru trac works like clutch packs but it is gear driven and still allows L/S
I know the tru track is a whole new carrier so you would put your ring gear on it and put the tru trac in place of the carrier, I know the instal is slightly more in depth than that but thats the basic
Im just looking for the cheapest place to find one

Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The true trac is a gear driven limited slip. It is smoother, more effective and lasts longer than a clutch based limited slip.
Your truck currently has an open carrier, the true trac is a carrier replacement. This will require setting up the gears or checking for proper measurements at least, best handled by someone who is comfortable and familiar with it.
Here is a link to the true trac at ringpinion.com, assuming you have a 9.75" http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...px?ProdID=2649
Expect somewhere around $200 for install depending on the shop.

A clutch based limited slip will cost the same for install, and not much less than the true trac. A used limited slip with a bit of miles will probably need rebuilt as well.

The cheapest thing you could do is install a "lunchbox" automatic locker like a lock right if they make one for your differential. The parts install inside of your open diff, and if you can change brakes then you can install a lunchbox locker.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry I never got back to you guys on this. The tru-trac I got came from 4wheelparts.com and was $525.00 w/free shipping. Very easy to install. as has been said it replaces the carrier entirely. the only adjustment that has to be made is the backlash of the ring gear. Had mine done at a shop that does rear end work and only took about 2-3 hrs time (including bulls****ing time. And like has been said, this is a great unit and quiet without any maintenance. Only one caution (from Eaton/Detroit themselves) HIGHLY recommend using ONLY mineral gear oil (NO synthetics) and no anti-friction modifier. I am using Lucas 85-140 (mineral) gear oil in mine, don't even hear it back there. Back when we did have ice on the road I really made it work. REALLY WELL !!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The cheapest would be a Ford limited slip. You can pick them up for pretty cheap compared to Tru-Tracs or Auburns, but you get what you pay for.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks for the info, I gotta replace my L/S soon

Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check to see if a powertrax locker is available for your truck. They can be installed without disturbing the ring/pinion gears.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to get rid of Open diff?