1999 f-150 Rear End Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 f-150 Rear End Squealing

I have a question about my 1999 ford f-150. My truck has a little over 150,000 miles on it and was in need of several thousands of dollars worth of repairs.

I brought the truck to a repair shop and asked them to prioritize a list of all the needed repairs. The list included new u-joints, new rear seals, new front brake pads, rotors, and calipers, new upper and lower ball joints, transmission service, etc.

After I got the truck back a loud squealing is coming from the rear-end (i think). It starts after every time I stop the vehicle and lasts until I reach 45-50 mph.

Now the repair shop is suggesting that the cause is the rear end is shot and must be replaced.

My questions are:
Does this sound accurate? Is there something else that might be the cause?
Is this something that should have been noticed before either during the first inspection or during the other repairs?

I really like the repair shop that I take my vehicles to. They are great people. I just want to make sure that there hasn't been a mistake.

Thanks,
seven

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the squeak could be a number of things.

if you have a limited slip in the rear, they may not have added friction modifier if they did a cover off inspection. ask about this. if they say something about the oil they used has friction modifier, go to ford and get a bottle of the stuff and put it in yourself. you may not need this though.

another thing is one of the 5 or so bearings in the rear could be going out. if one of these bearings has seized, the easiest and safest thing to do is put a new rear end in. if the bearing is starting to go, it will be easy and cheap just to replace it.

if the axle seals are shot, replacing those is a driveway job and the axle bearings can be replaced while you're in there without much more work at all.

the squeak may also just be a worn u-joint. go ahead and replace these along with the seals. while they are in there replacing the seals go ahead and get the bearings done unless they see the need to go ahead and replace the entire axle.

were any of these repairs done while you had the truck there?

Quick Reply: 1999 f-150 Rear End Squealing