Welding up LSD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding up LSD.

So I destroyed the 8.8" in the truck. I pulled 3 clutches out along with a handfull of what remained of the spiders when I pulled the cover. I'm just looking for a quick fix. I know how, I know what can happen and the "fun" to be had in foul weather that comes with welding one up. But I have never welded a factory L/S. Anyone running around that was to cheap or poor in my case to fix it right? Just wondering before I take the plunge and "ruin" my carrier.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 PM
glc
Received 775 Likes on 715 Posts
Don't even think about welding it up if you plan on driving the truck on the street. If you are broke, go get another pumpkin out of the boneyard.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Don't even think about welding it up if you plan on driving the truck on the street. If you are broke, go get another pumpkin out of the boneyard.
I've driven many vehicles with spools on the street. The rearend is locked now with all the clutches wacked up. But i'm not worried about street driving. I'm a mechanic the shop I work at sells tires so i'm not worried about a little tire wear. I just need the truck for the winter. It gets a locker and new gears with the new powerplant but that will not be ready before spring. I just wanna know IF anyone has a welded up LSD.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You also have to worry about the added stress to the axle shafts. If your willing to take the risk, go for it.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think a clutch pac at Summit Racing is like 60 bucks.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 AM
in an old 75 f250 i had back in the day the front diff in it gave up the ghost. i got a new traclok and gears for it to give me a nice posi up front. when you hit 4 wheel you want stuff to spin. when i tore the assembly down i found out a previous owner welded the carrier and spiders up in there which is what caused the failure. i found gear teeth missing, the carrier grenaded, and the inside of the housing being ground up from the cracked carrier making contact with it. my advice to you??? fix it right or it WILL cost you more when you go to replace everything in 7 months in the springtime.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
It sounds like you are well aware of the downsides to running a welded rear end on the street so I'm not going to say anything about that.

If I read correctly, you said the spiders and clutches are grenaded right? You'd have to put spider and side gears in it, plus clutches probably just to get it structurally sound enough to weld. That's assuming the carrier wasn't damaged when everything went south. The other thing I'm not sure about is whether or not you can even weld a stock LS diff?? You could obviously weld the spider/side gears together, but usually when you weld up a diff you weld the backs of the side gears to the carrier and I'm not sure if you can do that with the clutch packs behind them. (i can't remember exactly what that area of the diff looks like right now to be honest) Even if you can, I think you basically have to rebuild the diff (spider set and clutches) just to get it to the point you could weld it.

Used carriers are cheap. I'd just put a used carrier in it in the meantime until you are ready to build it.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I would NEVER weld a DD or something that's on pavement often... But that's just me.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by RayD
It sounds like you are well aware of the downsides to running a welded rear end on the street so I'm not going to say anything about that.

If I read correctly, you said the spiders and clutches are grenaded right? You'd have to put spider and side gears in it, plus clutches probably just to get it structurally sound enough to weld. That's assuming the carrier wasn't damaged when everything went south. The other thing I'm not sure about is whether or not you can even weld a stock LS diff?? You could obviously weld the spider/side gears together, but usually when you weld up a diff you weld the backs of the side gears to the carrier and I'm not sure if you can do that with the clutch packs behind them. (i can't remember exactly what that area of the diff looks like right now to be honest) Even if you can, I think you basically have to rebuild the diff (spider set and clutches) just to get it to the point you could weld it.

Used carriers are cheap. I'd just put a used carrier in it in the meantime until you are ready to build it.
Yeah they are toast. It didn't come all the way apart. I have been driving it but it stays locked all the time and likes to pop some at slow speeds. There is still enough meat left of the spiders to weld. The clutches are directly behind the side gears, but they are large enough that I can weld them to the carrier as well for added strength. I talked with Randy's Ring and Pinion yesterday, and can get a open carrier and Lock Right with hardened center pin for around $400 and that will be my route but for now, I'm gonna weld some parts and hope for the best. I'll be sure to take some pics of the carnage and what I can do, and if it pulls out of the shop maybe a big burnout to make sure its ready for the road.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by papajohn
in an old 75 f250 i had back in the day the front diff in it gave up the ghost. i got a new traclok and gears for it to give me a nice posi up front. when you hit 4 wheel you want stuff to spin. when i tore the assembly down i found out a previous owner welded the carrier and spiders up in there which is what caused the failure. i found gear teeth missing, the carrier grenaded, and the inside of the housing being ground up from the cracked carrier making contact with it. my advice to you??? fix it right or it WILL cost you more when you go to replace everything in 7 months in the springtime.
What came from my welded front...

Mine wasent on the street but in only mud broke the long shaft broke the pinion in two peices alos eat all but about 10 teeth off the ring also resulted in a broken wrist when it all came apart..

Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 AM
My "Miller" locker is done, I'll try to get some pics up later.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Pics of my new "Locker"

Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM
and let the breakage begin. hope you got more "miller" cause you'll be drinkin that on the side of the road waitin for the trailer to come and pick you up.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are too many reasons why you shouldn't weld it then there is to list.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
people weld axles all the time with no problems. especially with stock size tires i wouldn't think it would be different then simply having a locker in the rear.

Quick Reply: Welding up LSD.