Whining sound and 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem 1:
I just got an 05 F-150 about a month ago. The deal went fast and I really didn't get to look at everything. Well a couple of days ago I tried the 4x4 for the first time. 4x4 low works, but 4x4 high doesn't. You can hear it "click" into 4x4 high, but it just doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Problem 2:
There is also a whining sound coming from under the hood. I'm pretty sure it's not the power steering. I think it might be a pulley. Anyone know what that could be? Thanks for your time.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM

jchounds4,

for problem 1 sounds like your selector on the transfer case is out. You will here a click inside the truck when you turn the **** but it isn't changing at the transfer case. Easy fix is to get a new selector switch on the transfer case. Also if you are going over 65mph when you switch to 4x4 high it will not ingage.

Problem 2. to test the whining sound open the hood and turn on truck. Let it get to normal operationg temp and the turn the wheel back and forth. If the whining increase or starts when you turn parked then its your powersteering. However, if it isnt the powersteering it could be your AC compressor. If the truck has been in some serious mud or sand then this will cause a whining sound to occur. The AC whining sound is the clutch full of dirt.

Check it out and let me know..

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok thanks. Can I get the selector from and auto parts store? I just tested the power steering and its not that. How would I clean the clutch?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
ttt

Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 PM
or sum other pulley, idler/tensioner. my motor is clean as a whistle and it makes that whining sound when your gettin on it, i got 3 friends with same truck and theres do it too, so i wished i knew

Quick Reply: Whining sound and 4x4 problems