new pinion bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new pinion bearing?

Hey all, I have an 01 f150 8.8"diff and i am installing a new trac lok diff and ring and pinion. I have a set of test bearings(for the pinion shaft) i have used to set my pinion depth, backlash and carrier(diff) preload. After a few test builds i have a great looking paint pattern and everything else is good. But my problem is the new smaller pinion bearing will not slide onto the new pinion shaft(my stock one came right on and off by hand). So I am scared to put the bearing in and try to tighten the flange and pinion nut to press it on. Again i am talking about the smaller pinion bearing that meets the crush sleeve. that installs from the driveshaft flange side of the diff housing. Again simply my problem is installing my new smaller pinion bearing onto my new pinion(Not the press fit one by the pinion head). Anyone that has been here or has any suggestions, let me know, i appreciate it.

Last edited by wrightR1; 09-10-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Not sure if you have a time restraint, but throw the pinion into the freezer for alittle while. Let it get real cold. The metal will contract, an the bearing should fall right on. The bearing won't fully seat, the crush bearing will finalize it, with the proper torque required.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey Ram Air, thanks for the hint, i actually did the same thing with the bearing races, i will freeze the bearing before i go to install sometime this week, hopefully i will not damage the threads on the pinion pressing that new bearing on by installing the driveshaft flange and nut, but i think it will work out fine. I will post the outcome later on.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM
You'll be fine. That's how I did mine. When ya torque it, it'll seat it where it needs to be be. The crush sleeve will do it's job.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
wait you said that the bearing is too small for the pinnion shaft right? well freezing it will only make it smaller as ram air said it will contract it. you either need to press it on or you can throw it in the oven and let it heat up to 200 . only leave it in there for a little bit and use an oven mitt to get it out. if the bearing is too small you need to expand it I.E. HEAT. if a press is not available. the oven trick will work though thats what i did and mine worked like a charm and no problems!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I said for him to put the pinion in the freezer, not the bearing! The race goes into the housing.

Quick Reply: new pinion bearing?