locking hubs and oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locking hubs and oil changes

hello guys, im new to this so please be patient:
I just purchased a 2008 f350 diesel 6.4l
it has locking hubs and controls on the dash for 2wh/4wh/ and 4wh low.
the hubs on the front axle has a auto and locked position, my question is when would I move it to the locked position and why would I do this as it appears the 4 wheel modes work in the auto position.

my other question is I'm looking at performing my own oil changes, but this is my first diesel truck I have ever owned, and I know the ford dealers will charge me big bucks. is it pretty eaasy/possible, or am i better off paying the 3 to 5 hundred bucks for the dealer to do the oil changes.
thanks in advace

Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM
the auto hubs are part time if your in 4wd you have to lock you hubs in so you wont break your plastic hub parts

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
it is pretty easy to change your oil and filters on your own. just have plenty of pans around because when you change the fuel filter in the frame it will make a mess. the price is high because the parts are not cheap to get.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 AM
plastic hub parts?
how can a big f350 diesel 4x4 use plastic hub parts?
it just doesn't make sense to me why the front axle has an automatic and lock position. BIG.TROUBLE, your basically saying don't even put it in 4x4 mode unless you turn the front axle from auto to lock. is that correct?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:23 PM
no thats not what i'm saying I have a friend that has the exact same truck and he change the factory locking hubs to the heavy duty warn hubs. the gears in the factory hubs are plastic as far as I can remember they didn't go to the warn system till 04 i think but as far as 4wd as long as your not mud riding and pulling people out that are sunk then your ok but the warn is a better way to go and safer too

Quick Reply: locking hubs and oil changes