New Hubs worn out after 1500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Hubs worn out after 1500 miles?

Ok, so right now Its sounding like my hubs are wearing out AGAIN. about 2 months ago my hubs were making a horrible amount of noise no matter where they went or how fast. Anyways, I took my truck to the dealer and got my hubs replaced with new ones(so I thought). Here I am 2 months, and 1500 miles later and my hubs sound just like the did 2 months ago. I jacked my truck up and with the wheel and tire attached, I shook the wheel and it wobbled slightly. So I'm thinking the dealer got some used hubs, slapped them on my truck and charged me for new ones ($900). So now I'm pissed and don't know what to do. I now know how to install new hubs so I dont have to pay the dealer this time, but where is a good place to buy quality hubs for a 04 4wd f150? Any help will be appreciated,
Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Why not go back to the dealer and see what is up with them? Tell the service manager you got the hubs done a short while ago, and something is wrong with them, and you want him to fix them.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
i know everyone doesnt have mechanical knowledge, tools or the space to do it - but why didnt you replace your bearings yourself? from what ive seen they go for between $120 and $200 a piece for premium Timken's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timke...-/370443777609

Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marshal
i know everyone doesnt have mechanical knowledge, tools or the space to do it - but why didnt you replace your bearings yourself? from what ive seen they go for between $120 and $200 a piece for premium Timken's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Timke...-/370443777609
That will not fit his truck...that is a 7 stud hub that you linked to on Ebay.. Check this one from Rock Auto TIMKEN Part # SP550212 $166

Last edited by sam1947; 10-18-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by marshal
I didn't know how to replace the hub assembly at the time but i researched it and it seems fairly simple, but changing just bearings, huh, I'll leave it to the experts. I'm probably just going to buy two new hub assemblys and replace them myself, hoping they will last a lot longer.

Last edited by GA4x4Screw; 10-18-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
I didn't know how to replace the hub assembly at the time but i researched it and it seems fairly simple, but changing just bearings, huh, I'll leave it to the experts. I'm probably just going to buy two new hub assemblys and replace them myself, hoping they will last a lot longer.
For the money involved and if you have the ability and tools, complete hub replacement is the way to go. I don't think anyone replaces just the bearings anymore. Just make sure it's actually the hubs and not the IWE's making noise (trying to engage)

Last edited by sam1947; 10-18-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
alright guys just to be sure, I went and jacked up my truck again and wobbled the wheels and they didnt move at all this time. I spun the wheel and it made no grinding noise at all. So maybe the hubs arent the problem, yet when driving, and steering to the left and right I hear a wooop, wooop, wooop every rotation of the wheel which is odd. Im stuck and dont know where to look. And what exactly is an IWE? I'm learning everyday so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
alright guys just to be sure, I went and jacked up my truck again and wobbled the wheels and they didnt move at all this time. I spun the wheel and it made no grinding noise at all. So maybe the hubs arent the problem, yet when driving, and steering to the left and right I hear a wooop, wooop, wooop every rotation of the wheel which is odd. Im stuck and dont know where to look. And what exactly is an IWE? I'm learning everyday so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Here you go.....http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...then-some.html

Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Another thought......what condition are your tires in ?? The 'wooop, wooop, wooop' you are hearing on cornering might be that the front tires are worn on the edges..sort of like cupping/or scalloping condition sometimes caused by under inflation.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
Another thought......what condition are your tires in ?? The 'wooop, wooop, wooop' you are hearing on cornering might be that the front tires are worn on the edges..sort of like cupping/or scalloping condition sometimes caused by under inflation.

Brand new BF Goodrich all terrains with only 2500 miles on them, each has 35 psi in them also

Quick Reply: New Hubs worn out after 1500 miles?