4x4 not engaging on 03 supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it wouldn't go into 4wd again today, and tapping didn't even help this time. So, I guess i'll have to try the solenoid test and see what happens. Fortunately, the nitto terra grapplers do well at high rpms and get me out of the muddy jobsite in 2wd!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
No, it's session based. It works for YOU and ONLY you.

Click on this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4085850

That's MY result when I search for all posts made by jbrew.......
Oh okay, I wonder how long it's been like that ? But yea, it's not working for me now either.

J-man - If you want to search your problem, I guess you have to do it this way. Go back to THIS forums main page where it lists threads posted (including yours). Look over to the right and you'll see "Forum Tools" and "Search This Forum". Under search this forum, when you scroll to it, you get a search box from the drop down. Type in 4WD not working and you'll get plenty of threads to choose from. That's how you find the answers your looking for.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J-man
Well, it wouldn't go into 4wd again today, and tapping didn't even help this time. So, I guess i'll have to try the solenoid test and see what happens. Fortunately, the nitto terra grapplers do well at high rpms and get me out of the muddy jobsite in 2wd!
Make sure to post your results.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Oh okay, I wonder how long it's been like that ? But yea, it's not working for me now either.
The VBulletin search has always worked like that as far as I know - and I've been a VBulletin forum admin for about 7 years now.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Well, I learned something then. - Another thing I have to remember ...

Old 01-02-2011, 01:40 AM
I had my brother (who's a mechanic) look over the truck with me the other night, and he is pretty sure my problem is the fork in the differential. So the next step is to get it into a shop where he can really work on it and see if this is for sure, then replace the part. I will keep everyone posted on how this works out for me!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 AM

All you do is work it back and forth with a cheap vac tool. And at the same time you lube it up. It's just stuck, -happens all the time if you never service it.

Those vac tools have a direct hook up. Connect right @ the actuator/ front axle.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
I fixed the 4wd problem that I was having on my truck. I now have a very good understanding for how the 4wd system works. My problem was the dreaded shift fork in the front differential. The stupid little plastic tabs on the fork fell off (cheap crappy design by ford) If you want any pointers diagnosing your problem send me an e-mail. I'd be glad to help.
m.gellings@yahoo.com

Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by HRS_PWR
I fixed the 4wd problem that I was having on my truck. I now have a very good understanding for how the 4wd system works. My problem was the dreaded shift fork in the front differential. The stupid little plastic tabs on the fork fell off (cheap crappy design by ford) If you want any pointers diagnosing your problem send me an e-mail. I'd be glad to help.
m.gellings@yahoo.com
Thank you, HRS PWR. Glad to hear you got yours fixed, and i apreciate your offer of help. My brother just bought the same part for me and will hopefully be installing it early next week. If we have any issues, or find that this isn't actually the problem, I'll give you a holler. By the way, that's a very small parts box for $230ish!!! I sure hope I don't have any other trouble with this vehicle!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by HRS_PWR
m.gellings@yahoo.com
Yea, -someone else is having to do this as well, - hope I'm not next.

There's some diagrams , even a slide show lol , - looks like the same problem, - those plastic tabs -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...-engaging.html

Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Well, guys, I'm back in business! My brother finally got a chance to trade me trucks and take mine home and work on it. It was the fork in the front dif that was the problem. he replaced it with the new one and says it works like a charm now! I haven't even got to drive it yet, but can't wait to try it out. Thanks again to everyone who has helped out!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM
We got snow today, so I got to try out the 4x4. It works! Sure is a nice feeling knowing I can get out of my own driveway on the first try without even chaining up!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Good for you J-Man!

I have the same issue on my 03 Supercrew with 182k miles. I found the part kit for $181.71 (f75z-3n139-kt) on Fast Parts Network where I usually buy Ford parts from: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...tor&siteid=318

Are there any short cuts, special tools, or other things I need to change out while I take the passenger side axle apart besides the parts in the kit? Do I even need to take the Diff cover off or even drain the gear lube?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Since it was my brother who actually did the job, I'll have to ask him and then get back with you.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the reply J-man.

I was hoping people who performed this work would respond with 1st hand experience.

Maybe my expectations are biased based on experience from other sites I have frequented in the past - being so much more open to newbies?

Quick Reply: 4x4 not engaging on 03 supercrew