4x4 not engaging on 03 supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it was a nice weekend to work on my truck and fix this thing. So here are the steps I took for anyone who wants crawl under and try this on their own with no special tools.

1. Remove the plastic oil drain shield/actuator shield - 3 m10 screws.
2. Remove the c-clip that holds the actuator onto the axle shaft.
3. Disconnect the pink and blue vacuum lines from top of the actuator.
4. Start pulling the actuator out while disengaging the shaft from the fork arm.
5. Finish pulling the actuator out while pulling the rubber boot off the actuator arm.
6. Loosen of the M12 halfshaft bolts (12pt sockets), and 4 Axle tube bolts (15mm). I raised the front right tire off the ground to rotate the wheel to get access to the top two M12 bolts and set is down on the ground again to loosen the top two M12 bolts.
7. Remove the nut from the bolt holding the axle tube up at the frame clevis. I left the bolt in at this time.
8. Raise right front tire/wheel off ground and remove wheel. (place jack under front crossmember, not under suspension)
9. Remove the right front sta-bar link. This will let you swing the halfshaft out of the way to lower and pull out/remove the tube section from the diff.
9. Completely remove M12 halfshaft bolts, and gently separate the halfshaft joint. Set on top of Lower Control arm to the front of the vehicle.
10. Loop string through one of the halfshaft bolt holes and tie to sta-bar. I did this as a precaution so the halfshaft doesn't fall apart.
11. Remove the (4) bolts holding the extension tube to the diff.
12. Separate this tube/extension shaft from diff. I gently pulled the outboard end down and places a 2x4 piece of wood above the diff and under the oil pan. This provided a straighter angle to pull the tube/outboard.
13. Replace the parts from the kit - Rotate lever outboard to access the gear and pull it from from fork. Tap on the roll pin (for shift fork) with hammer and drift pin (push roll pin through) until the shaft is free from the outer lever. Remove lever and fork.
14. Clean up lever shaft, replace lever o-ring.
15. Replace to extra gear the came in the kit (no explanation needed)
16. Reassemble in reverse - lever, new roll pin, new gear, etc.

There was no need to mess around with frozen ball joints or tie rod ends, or remove the diff cover.
Regards,
Il Kim

Last edited by IL KIM; 10-24-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you know by chance know which type of vehicle you performed this on? I know it's a 4x4. You haven't filled in your info, - top right corner.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry; It's a 2003 F150 Supercrew with 5.4l engine. Updated "my garage". Thanks.

Quick Reply: 4x4 not engaging on 03 supercrew