1979 F 150 driveshafts not turning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 F 150 driveshafts not turning...

Ok my father and I had to tear down a *Running* F150 to replace some parts (shocks, brackets, fuel pump, brake lines, speedo gear, etc..)
once we put everything back together we fired up the truck and it was running...

problem... driveshafts wont turn... i mean the rear one will turn SLIGHTY i mean if you put your hand on it, then it wont turn... my dad is thinking the transmission went out while it was sitting there for a year (in a garage)

we are honestly stumped on what to do...

also when i put it into drive, neutral, 1, or second. it WONT grind.. but when i put it from reverse to park it grinds, and i have to turn off the truck and put it in park that way..

can someone please help me out? i'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Need more info.

When you say the driveshafts won't turn, do you mean the truck doesn't move in gear or do you mean that when up off the ground, the shaft will turn a little with hand pressure?

Try moving the transfer case lever back one notch to see if maybe it's in neutral. If that cures it, please read up on these part time 4X4 systems, they are not shift on the fly .... though you can go from 4wd hi to 2wd hi and back on slick surfaces at lower speeds and the hubs are manual. Do not use 4x4 on hard surfaces.

Hope it helps!

Sometimes the simplest things can screw you up.

Example ....

A couple years ago our tac team got into a pursuit of a wanted fellow with the tac team 4 wd van, it quit, they called a wrecker, turned out the transfer case slipped into neutral.

RuhRoh.

In the excitement, the driver forgot to check lever.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-18-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
yeah the shaft will turn with hand pressure, and the whole entire truck is on stands atm without tires/rims. and we put the truck in gear too.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 PM
OK, so you know the transfer case is in a gear!

You mention Park so I assume C-6 Auto ...

Did y'all also change trans filter and put some fluid in 6 months agao and not top off?

Trans lines hooked up, fluid not running all over the floor.

Any noises when in forward ranges?

Even if the trans went out, when NOT in park, you should be able to turn that rear driveshaft by hand. Did you do brakes too and maybe set up tight? Could the park brake be set or a cable not released due to rust?

Didn't know if you tried it with power, but pleaase have some lugs on those studs holding the brake drums on.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-18-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
OK, so you know the transfer case is in a gear!

You mention Park so I assume C-6 Auto ...

Did y'all also change trans filter and put some fluid in 6 months agao and not top off?

Trans lines hooked up, fluid not running all over the floor.

Any noises when in forward ranges?

Even if the trans went out, when NOT in park, you should be able to turn that rear driveshaft by hand. Did you do brakes too and maybe set up tight? Could the park brake be set or a cable not released due to rust?

Didn't know if you tried it with power, but pleaase have some lugs on those studs holding the brake drums on.
yep it's a C6 auto.
not sure about the trans filter, but we checked the fluid and it was fine.
no fluid running anywhere underneath, no leaks. we can turn the rear drums, and th parking brake cables were just installed brand new along with the shocks and other things we put on.
we can turn the rear driveshaft by hand... TO A POINT then i cant turn it anymore... idk why.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM
sounds like its low on tranny fluid and not going into gear.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by 79f150
yep it's a C6 auto.
not sure about the trans filter, but we checked the fluid and it was fine.
no fluid running anywhere underneath, no leaks. we can turn the rear drums, and th parking brake cables were just installed brand new along with the shocks and other things we put on.
we can turn the rear driveshaft by hand... TO A POINT then i cant turn it anymore... idk why.
When you were trying it in 1st or 2nd or 3rd, as you applied a little throttle, did it seem like the motor was pulling against a load or was it reving like in neutral?

Did y'all do anything to the transfer case or linkage / lever?

I have a '77 F-150 4x4 also, 351m / C-6 / NP205 part time TC / manual hubs. Had it since May 1986. Pretty familiar with it. Not being able to turn that rear driveshaft with the truck out of Park and parking brake OFF just doesn't make sense, it should turn by hand.

Did you by chance replace the rear pinion seal?

Last edited by tbear853; 01-19-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79f150

also when i put it into drive, neutral, 1, or second. it WONT grind.. but when i put it from reverse to park it grinds, and i have to turn off the truck and put it in park that way..
That sure sounds like the transfer case is not connecting the transmission to the rest of the drive train. The transmission shaft is turning and nothing to stop it.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
thanks for all the replies guys, i am currently in college, so i gave my father the login info and such to get on here and post... if he doesnt today ill call him and tell him to do it tomorrow. thanks again!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Ok sorry for a dead thread revival but still no luck on the truck we got everything replaced finally, and got the transfer case put in, and the truck still wont go into Reverse, D, 2, or 1. i mean it will go but wont make the truck move, it feels like the truck is going into the gear though cause it bogs down like usual... i just put more tranny fluid in it because it was well below the lines but i cant tell if i put enough in it or not because where it went downt he tube it looked like i filled up the fluid with just like a little bit of fluid, i didn't pour much.. which doesnt seem right..

I took a video which will finish upload in about an hour, its in 1080p so im sure you guys can hear the whining noise that i hear.. hopefully i can get this damn problem solved..

Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM
well i got a little curious cause dad said he put the linkage together but one part needed a locking pin but it was still bolted together, checked it out and guess what it came undone. hooked it back up put a rivet through it and bent it for temp purposes started the truck put it in reverse and VWALA! yes! problem solved lol

Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Sometimes, it's the simplest thing!

Quick Reply: 1979 F 150 driveshafts not turning...