Not shifting out of park right away

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not shifting out of park right away

Hey guys I have an 04 F150 FX4. For the past 3 months now, when i either go from park to reverse or park to drive, It does not go into the gear right away. I can feel it like slipping like 3-5 times and then grabbing. It seems to be getting worse. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Check the fluid level lately? How many miles? Does the truck shake at all while it "slips" into gear? Will it do this with any other gear and does it matter if its cold or not? Any CELs? Kinda vague any other info would be helpful. Could be low fluid, faulty torque converter maybe, low shift pressure, make sure the shift linkage from the column down to the tranny hasnt come loose somewhere either. Maybe someone else will chime in...

Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes the fluid was changed 1500 miles ago. Truck has 100,000 miles on it. It only does it when its coming out of park, and yes it does have a little shake to it. I have an edge evol. and no CEL's. The only other thing is that the rear axle seals have started leaking recently. but i dont think it is rear end related? Thanks for the post.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you checked it or yes, it should be okay because I just changed the fluid a month or so ago? Just because the fluid was changed doesn't mean its at the proper level. The engine and transmission need to be at operating temperature (read hot) and the engine needs to be running when you check it. This is the first thing to do. Running at a low level is only going to do more damage to the transmission. It's either a low fluid level or its signs of wear pointing to a rebuild in the future. Have the transmission checked for codes to make sure it's not the electronic solenoid.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes the fluid is at the proper level. Im guessing my problem is in the transmission. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I had this problem with an old Cougar that had the C6 transmission. The trans shop told me that the seals were old and were not sealing as well as they used to and it took a little while longer for the pump to build up enough pressure to get it in gear. Mine only did it on a cold start up.
So, I would guess it is fluid pressure related. I think if it was me, I would drop the pan again and check the filter installation, maybe replace the filter.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If you are going to get the tranny rebuilt anyway and want to try to keep it going longer, Lucas tranny additive can help with internal seal leakage and low pressure.

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Okay, sounds good. Ill try that lucas tranny add. also. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Not shifting out of park right away