Info Request for installing LSD or ARB on front diff of Supercrew 4x4.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: explanation...

klaibs27,

What is the "other" board?

Thanks for nominating yourself as g. pig. Will you wait for the "wobbling axle" fix (3-4 months per Screwdriver) or use Randy's spring fix?

Old 07-27-2001, 05:20 PM
Lightbulb Powertrax and more.....

Great note cpadpl,

The rear locker can bite you for sure, Perhaps that is why a lot of guys go with the air powered types back there. I agree with your assessment of warranty situation, wouldn't do it if: a) I thought it was junk, b) if I didn't have the beans to bail myself out of a bind. But it is(R-M) better than nothing. Again I won't do it without the total fix(mod) from one source, and the services of an expert. More anecdotal info would be nice. Feel good reasons, I guess. I don't know Randy's like some folks and maybe their fix is valid as klaibs might find out or know already. Funny thing is why delay?, since there is no issue out of warranty and if you have a problem in warranty the worst that can happen is you foot the bill. Well, you would anyway. If you do it in warranty at least there is the possibility that they might help you out. What are the odds something really breaks in the front drivetrain axles or diff within 36000 miles that is a warranty issue anyway? Very remote in my case. Maybe not in the rest of the community.

I'm not in a particular hurry since the fix probably won't be out by Oct, which is my hunt month, btw. I wish we had some people here who have done it. Would be nice. I'm not really seeing a lot of downside here once they get the kit totally together and warranty it. Just want to make sure I understand all the ramifications. Like this floating axles thing?, still don't know why that is. Klaibs you're welcome, this is very productive and fun and I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed. I'm not going anywhere.

Old 07-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Re: Powertrax and more.....

Screwdriver,

Well I guess that fix is a good reason to wait for me (I can't believe they sell now without a fix). Doesn't the front axle use c clips just like the rear? I guess not, cause the Powertrax for the rear is compatible with the c clips.

My other reason for waiting is that I am not going to do any non-Ford stuff until 36 months. Call me paranoid, but I'm not that far away, so I figure what is the rush. As I mentioned, I did have the Ford dealership put in a Ford limited slip, and as I said, I know that the warranty their work well, they know the product, and they can't claim it's the crappy part if something goes wrong. Even if Powertrax stands behind its fix, I would still be split between 3 parties if something went wrong. If I'm patient (I drive 60 miles a day) one of those parties (the Ford factory warranty) will disappear in about 10,000 miles. Then it's Geronimo!

Why don't you post in this Forum a request for anyone who has installed Powertrax up front? Can't hurt, even if they don't have the fix they could tell you about some other problems if they existed. I would post, but I've been asking so many stupid questions about traction aid devices over the past few months I'm afraid people wouldn't respond just because they see I'm the author.

Oh, and one more thing about the wait. I don't do hunting (although I'm all for it), the front locker is more of a luxury for me. I do a lot of water sports, and at the beach or ramp often, but with a 4x4 with a ls I'll do okay. If I were you, and I was going out into the boonies where lack of traction aid might mean a multi-mile hike back or a night out in the cold, I would have your "might as well get it" attitude regardless of the factory warranty. Think of it this way, there a better chance of you getting stuck going hunting without the front locker than the front locker causing something to break and the Ford factory is smart enough to establish that.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:52 PM
Post A little tid bit...

In response to a question at world, I went to the powertrax website's application page. On that they have the newer model fords with the Dana 44. I wrote powertrax and told them that this is incorrect as we all have the ford 8.8's with reverse cut gears. Here is what i wrote:

"The 1997 to present F150's do not have a dana 44 in the front on 4x4 models. They have a reverse cut ford 8.8". I don't know the spline count on these as I have not really gotten into them. We also have a central disconnect system in the IFS fronts. My last comment is, I have heard rumors that a No slip traction device will be out in the next few months for these differentials. Is this a true rumor. I really want to put this device in my front differential but do not want to wait very long. Thank you very much. Eric"

And here is their response:

"Eric,
Thank you for your message,
Unfortunately we do not offer a No-Slip application for your vehicle at this time. We will keep your e-mail address on file and alert you to any future
developments.
Thank you, Powertrax."

Now I'm really confused. I will probably be doing this mod in early november as I want it done before my hunting season in the snow just south of Buffalo, NY. I got stuck last year and don't want to happen again. I think I'm going to let it rest for a while and do some hardcore searching when the time gets closer. Eric

Old 08-08-2001, 06:12 PM
Re: A little tid bit...

klaibs27,

Hopefully Screwdriver reads this. As for me, I'm probably more confused than you. I can only scratch my head....

My question now is can you rely on a company that sells its product for trucks and it does not even know what the correct axle is up front?

Can't we find someone who's installed it or tried to and failed? The answer must be out there somewhere.

Old 08-09-2001, 01:19 PM
Wink

I think it was Moulder that said, "The Truth Is Out There!!" Let's just hope we find it!!! Damn, where's Scully when you need her?

Old 08-09-2001, 04:35 PM
Cool I'm back, for a while.....

Well, I'll call them again. As far as the other guy, who knows, I wasn't really comfortable talking to phone dude at Powertrax either. The email might have meant the axle stabilization kit wasn't available. Who knows, I'll try again. We'll lean on them until they build us a good one......

Quick Reply: Info Request for installing LSD or ARB on front diff of Supercrew 4x4.