Should i install a spool?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i install a spool?

I was looking through this months four wheeler magazine and they have prices for different types of rearends. I don't really have $400 bucks for a detroit locker. They had some spools that are only $137 bucks. I know they are great offroad but how would a spool do on the highway? I don't mind chirping the tires around corners but i don't want the rearend to kickout going around a curve in a rain storm. Does anyone know anything about these?

-Jon

Old 07-13-2001, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't do it. A spool will make the truck undrivable in rain or snow. The only vehicles that should have spools are off-road only vehicles.

I had a detroit locker in my old F250 and while it was great off road it was a bit of a handful in snow. A spool would be even worse.

Ian

ps - if you really want cheap, you could weld the diff gears - it would have the same effect as a spool for about $25 (and I still wouldn't do it!)

Old 07-13-2001, 07:44 PM
Ford4ever-

As mentioned, spools are for off road use only. You may save a few bucks looking for used rear ends or differentials.

Old 07-14-2001, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't do it. The truck will understeer a bunch in slippery conditions. It will also eat tires as the rear end will bind up on corners and the front will need to overcome this to turn.

A better/cheaper option would be to restack the clutches in a factory Ford traction lock. If your truck already has the traction lock it will cost about $50 parts for the extra frictions from a traction lock rebuild kit. A new traction lock unit is about $250 wholesale. Look in the Tech section of Corral.net for more info on getting the traction lock to lock up tighter than stock.

Old 07-15-2001, 02:41 AM
ford4ever,
these guys are telling you the truth. i always drove trucks with welded spider gears (lincoln lockers) for years. same as a spool. i, too read the same article and wondered how many people would run and buy spools for their road trucks? no matter what the mag guys say, expect to wear tires twice as fast, and have some awful situations on slick roads. we welded our rearends up for using the trucks on the farm. we needed the lock-up for slogging through mud fields. i wouldn't have a full-time locker today for anything. now, arb is a different mule altogether. 2 of these, would be completely welcome residing in my pumpkins anytime. good luck with your decision, Rich.

Quick Reply: Should i install a spool?