4x4 shifter... where should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockycarl,

I concur regarding the function of the switch versus the shift. I think Fleas purpose was to guage everyone's feelings as to where it should be (i.e. does the convenience of a **** override your desire to have a more manly looking shifter). There is also nothing "functionally" different about a F-150 painted clearcoated black, and one painted pink with daffodils and panda bears airbrushed along the side of the truck, but I think most guys would feel more comfortable in the black truck.

I would like to point out however, I have never heard of anyone trying to turn on the AC and accidentally shifting a lever on the floor, but I have heard of people accidentally switiching the 4x4 ****. Expensive error to make if the circumstances are right.

Old 08-01-2001, 12:33 AM
Any idea around what years the floor shifter went from a direct linkage connection to solenoid operation? This was real news to me. I had replaced some of the older models with the direct linkage connections but not with a lever on the floor that works a solenoid. Seems like a total waste of time and space. If the issue is safety, and security of improperly engaging it put the switch in the glove box. Wow a big manly shifter on the floor that only operates a solenoid, who would of thought?

Old 08-01-2001, 12:49 AM
I am sorry, but I think you have to be a retard to turn the 4x4 dial when trying to turn on the AC. First of all, you have to look down to find the dial, yet you don't notice the "4hi" or "4lo", not to mention the lack of words like "vent" or "max ac". Also, it really isn't even close to the rest of the ac controls, it is sitting all by itself.

Old 08-01-2001, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No solenoids

The only Solenoids associated with the floor shifter are those for the lights on the dash. The rest is done by pulling the shifter.

-Flea (no longer derranged)

Old 08-01-2001, 05:39 PM
Re: No solenoids

Flea and Locoscrew,

I disagree re/ the solenoids, Rockycarl is correct. Maybe you misunderstood what he said, the shift linkage is still there with a shift ****, but the operation of the center disconnect system relies on solenoids that apply vacuum to lock/unlock the right axle to the front diff.

When 4HI is engaged by the floor shifter, the T-case locks the chain sprocket, driving the front drive shaft. Front drive shaft turns, spins the ring gear and differential carrier, and the right side gear up to road speed. Then the solenoids activitate a vacuum motor that moves the shifter fork and locks the right axle shaft to the right side gear.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:17 PM
When 4HI is engaged by the floor shifter, the T-case locks the chain sprocket, driving the front drive shaft. Front drive shaft turns, spins the ring gear and differential carrier, and the right side gear up to road speed. Then the solenoids activitate a vacuum motor that moves the shifter fork and locks the right axle shaft to the right side gear.

Cpadpl
Now, I'm really confused. It sounds as if you are saying that there is a shifter fork in the differential. What engages the sprocket in the T-case to turn the front drive shaft? This is the solenoids that I was referring to that I assumed was the difference between the switch activation and the floor shifter. Anything after that point, I would again assume, would be the same. I also assumed the only thing after that point was the auto locking hub system. Please reply because I would like to understand.

Old 08-01-2001, 07:39 PM
Locoscrew,

That is what I'm saying. When you turn the swtich or pull the shifter, a signal is sent which activates a magnetic clutch inside the transfer case which spins up the front drive shaft, then a lockup collar locks the chain to the front driveshaft.

There is no auto locking hub system. The Ford (and T*yota, I don't know about the others) using center disconnect systems, where the left axle shaft is always spinning in 2wd, but your diff carrier is not, and your front drive shaft is not (as it is not engaged). The whole thing works because the right axle shaft (which is also spinning all the time) is disconnected from the right side gear (the left side gear uses the spider gears to the spin the right side gear in reverse while in 2wd). Upon 4x4 engagement, the T-case locks the chain sprocket, and starts to drive the front drive shaft. At the same time, vacuum motor solenoids work a shifter fork/collar inside the front differential to connect the right axle shaft to the right side gear once the differential carrier is up to road speed.

I was disagreeing with Fleas statement about no solenoids, but I'm not so sure there isn't some operational difference between the actual shifting of gears into 2-Lo and the **** (I'm familiar with the center disconnect system, not as knowledgeable about Ford's exact system). But I think the **** has a failsafe system where you can't go into low without coming to a complete stop, and the shifter **** (which I have) doesn't have this feature (however I haven't tried testing that). Then on the other hand, assembly line wise, it would make sense to make the shifter and **** systems as close as possible functionality wise.

The main purpose of my post was to:
1) Convey the idea the solenoids are now in the 4x4 system (not mechanical linkages)
2) Convey the idea that there are no longer manual or automatic locking hubs on Fords, they use center disconnect.

I have no more knowledge, you must find summon one of the elders if you want further information.

Last edited by cpadpl; 08-02-2001 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:07 PM
Hey...
I have the floor shift and like it a lot...first 4wd and still looking for a place to "use" it but it just looks "right" next to the tranny shifter...

Just my $.02

Old 09-09-2001, 12:09 PM
LocoScrew,

Check out the 4x4 Hub thread ...grr...now I forgot which forum it's in..Probably Other Drivetrain but check transmissions if not. Lariat 4x4 offers you the final answer re/ the difference between the operation of the shifter stick and ****, and also the operation of the shifter/fork collar in the front differential/axle assembly.....

Old 09-09-2001, 12:49 PM
Thumbs up

Elec SOTF:

Just my $.02, I have the **** on my truck, and while I sympathize with those folks that have their preference for either shift method, I have confidence in myself that I won't put it in 4H when I meant to crank up the AC. I agree that Ford could have spent some time on the ****, making it a different shape than the AC ****, but I'm not worried about it.

To shed a little perspective on it, BMW's equipped with the 5sp manual for decades has had no shift gate from 1st to Reverse, ie you can shift into Reverse without pushing down on the shifter, giving the possibility of selecting Reverse when you wanted 1st, or even 3rd. VW, which also put R next to 1st, as opposed to the right of 4th, has a gate which makes you consciously (sometimes) push down to get to R.

BMW:
R 1 3 5
|_|_|_|
| |
2 4
AUDI:
1 3 5
|_|_|
| | |
2 4 R

BMW's answer to that question has always been something to the effect of "BMW owners know their cars well enough to be confident of finding the right gear" ..

So does Ford have that type of faith in us? I'm not sure, but I have that faith in myself.

Old 09-09-2001, 01:01 PM
I also prfer the floor mounted shifter , even if it is a "switch on the floor"

Can you get a Screw 4x4 with the floor mounted lever or only the switch ?

Min8251

Old 09-09-2001, 02:00 PM
rj998

I agree completely, I doubt any Ford truck owner would make an accident like that, as most love and understand their trucks inside and out. However, I believe we were mostly referring to the braindead third parties that inevitably come into all of our lives, from incompetent weekend buddies, to the unobservant girlfriend, maybe even to the unknowing older parent or uncle.

I try to maintain control over situations like that, but say I'm driving down the street at 70mph, watching traffic or looking for an exit, and a friend I'm giving a ride to reaches forward to adjust the A/C and accidently hits my 4x4 ****, or even worse he is too stupid to know and wants to see what it feels like in 4x4 at 70 mph. I'm not saying that's likely, and I'm not suggesting I have friends that are stupid enough to do that, I'm just saying it is even LESS likely someone will do that if you have 4x4 shifter.

I can only go by my experience, and have heard of TWO geniune cases of accidents happening with the ****. Guess how many cases I've heard of people accidentally engaging the shift stick? ........That's right, zippo...

Old 09-09-2001, 02:17 PM
the floor shifter is not a switch at all!!!

it manually shifts the xfer case just like the older ones, but now, there is a pin switch in the xfer case that gets pressed by the shift rail and it tells the gem that you have moved the shifter into 4wd. Then the gem turns on the sol. that engages the front axle.

Also, no matter what speed youre going, if you turn the **** on a elec shift, and it goes into 4hi, its not going to hurt anything, if there's so much stress on the driveline, the elec motor cant complete the shift, so if it goes in, then everything's fine.

And there is no way that truck in the first post went into 4lo if :
it was moving over 2 mph, tranny wasn't in neutral, and the brake lights werent on. Absolultely no way it could happen without those 3 things at once.

Old 09-09-2001, 02:35 PM
i think lariat4by4 is correct.

I have looked under several trucks with the 4x4 shifter on the floor (including mine), and it is hooked up to linkages on the transfer case (bolted to the trans). there is probablly some sort of switch, however, it is no silinoid that i have seen.

mine is setup with the shifter on the floor

Old 09-09-2001, 04:10 PM
the pin switch that tells the gem when you shift is on the rear of the case, hard to see because of a crossmember.

the solenoid for the front axle is on the firewall, and the actuator that engages the axle is on the front axle housing, to the right of the "hoghead". It is covered by a plastic cover.

Quick Reply: 4x4 shifter... where should it be?