4x4 shifter... where should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by the way, the reason i know this stuff is because I'm the one at our dealership that does the 4x4 diag and work.

The weirdest thing i've seen in a while happened a couple of months ago...

01 4x4 comes in with a noise while rolling slowly, like a bad brake pad, or something stuck behind a brake dust sheild. I drove it, pulled it in and looked at the pads, now this truck only had 300 miles on it, so i couldnt find anything wrong with the brakes. I decided that i would try turning the rotors to see if it was a hard spot in one of them or something, but the noise was still there. Me and my service manager went out and drove it and i rode in the bed, because at that point we thought it maybe wasnt in the front brakes. After a lot of head scratching and test driving, we finally noticed that the truck never made the noise in 4wd. I immediatly started thinking about something in the xfer case touching and rubbing when the front driveshaft wasnt turning, but upon putting it back on the lift and looking at it, i noticed a single drop of gear oil on the front axle housing, right after the aluminum tube bolts to the hoghead, and just before the axle disconnect actuator. Further inspection showed that the tube was cracked, and the noise was the axle stub coming from the differential was not lined up with the sliding collar and the rest of the axle shaft that goes to the right CV shaft. I replaced the tube and collar and it was fixed.

Other instances that have really taught me about how the 4x4 system on f150s works is the fact that if the pin switch on the xfer case goes bad due to water intrusion, it kinda tells the gem module that its in 2wd and 4wd at the same time, and since the gem is a processor, it doesnt ever expect to see that scenario, and guess what it does? It makes the intermittant windsheild wipers not work! Guess how long it took to figure that one out. (actually the hotline had to clue me in on that one) .

but anyway, my point is that im not trying to be a mister know it all, i just know all this stuff about the manual shift vs. elec shift from my everyday work experiences.

Old 09-09-2001, 05:06 PM
We definitely need a 4x4 mech here

lariat4by4

To the contrary, you're knowledge is completely welcome, at least that's how I feel and I'msure other members feel the same way. There are a couple of extremely knowledgeable mechanic types on here, but it's not always easy to get them to drop .02, or maybe they dropped their .02 before and don't feel like doing it again. Actually, I'm pretty excited about your arrival.

Another issue you could address (although preferably not in this thread, because we are getting way off subject) is a post by Screwdriver regarding the installation of a Powertrax locker in the front differential. I think we have all come to the conclusion here about the limitations of installing a new differential in the rear (i.e. the need to have it accept the ABS excitor ring). However, some of us (well maybe just me) are unclear as to the ramifications (e.g. handling) of installing a locker or a limited slip device up front in a differential that spends most of its time spinning the right side gear in reverse..Just do a search function in the Other Drivetrain forum with the keywords Powertrax and Screwdriver and you should get it. I'm sure Screwdriver would flip that someone finally answered his post.

And again, welcome and glad to have you. Make sure you watch the Other drivetrain posts like a hawk, because I'll be waiting for your answers to my questions.

Old 09-10-2001, 09:29 AM
I'll echo some others insights by adding my own here... I LOVE the floor shifter. My explorer (my HEAVY DUTY [seriously, check out the pics!] off-road machine has the push-button 4x4, very very few explorers were made with the shift lever. here are a few reasons I like the floor shifter better:
Often, on runs with explorers, someone will drive across the country for an event only to find they can't shift in to 4x4. The reasons are varying, but they range from a bad transfer case motor, bad contacts on the wiring, a fuse being blown, etc. Either way with the floor shifter you don't have to worry about any of that.
The confidence of feeling it clunk into position and knowing for darn certain it is in is better then pushing a button, seeing a light go on and assuming your in.
I was pleased as punch when I found my 2000 F-150 with the 5.4L, automatic, but with the floor shifter 4x4 .

Old 09-14-2001, 02:50 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not buying that ??
If they are the same, why do you have to pay extra for the dash switch?
Flea, see my sig.

Old 09-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JDF
I'm not buying that ??
If they are the same, why do you have to pay extra for the dash switch?
Flea, see my sig.
Because you always pay extra for convenience. Plus with the dash switch, you have to have an extra component in your transfer case, a motor which will engage the transfer case. With the pull-lever, the lever pulls it into engagement, with a push-button you have to have the motor (and Ford charges $300 for that motor, speaking from experience!) to engage it.

Old 09-19-2001, 11:06 AM
wife must have manual lever

old truck was an 83 full-size blazer with a floor shift lever and manual locking hubs and such. BEFORE i would go four wheeling i would lock the hubs--that way i wouldn't have to climb out of the truck and do it in the middle of the mud puddle. same thing when winter would come and the snow was around. lot easier to do it then than to wait until it was necessary. floor shifter wasn't an option, it was the only way.

on our current F150, the option of a dash **** was immediately ruled out by my wife who said she anticipated she would turn it on instead of the A/C controls--nice that she said that up front instead of after the potential repairs--due to its shape and location. she doesn't look before she turns the ***** because she's busy watching the road or listening to the kid.

i enjoy the manly feel of yanking the lever. takes me back to the days when i had a truck i could take off road and drive through trees and rocks and not worry about the sheet metal.

(the family's explorer has the push-button 4wd system and it seems to do a fine job going into and out of 4wd--just lacks that manly feeling. i'm assuming that the dash **** would be a similar experience in the F150.)

Old 09-20-2001, 10:40 PM
One of the big things that I wanted when I was looking for trucks was it had to be on the floor, I wouldn't buy it if it had the switch. My dads truck, a 99 Lariat has the switch, and, I dont know, it's not the same.....kinda hard to explain just used to the floor shifter on mine, but I still miss the one on my first ride a 79 Bronco, with the manual hubs, you knew when that was engaged, ah well.....

Old 09-25-2001, 01:55 PM
On the Floor for me :D

The Floor is the only place to have a 4x4 lever.....Not just that, but with the dash switch, I don't have the option to put in in a neutral position either like I do with the floor mounted lever.

Old 09-26-2001, 08:00 AM
Having had both types, I can say that there are two reasons why the floor shifter is better. First off, there's less to go wrong, mechanically. On the other hand, linkages can and do get bent and/or gunked up. Second, it has Neutral. To tow a floor shifted 4x4, all you gotta do is disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the front central disconnect and put the transfer case into N. By doing this, you can tow it on all 4 wheels.

The advantages to having the **** are convenience and relatively fool-proof operation.

I prefer the **** for the convenience. When you're driving on varying roads, it's a lot easier to keep driving and flipping the ****, than it is to reach down for the lever, which can contribute to an accident.

Old 10-01-2001, 02:33 PM
It should be on the floor. Nothing wrong with manual hubs either. I've had them on several other trucks. Just stop when you leave pavement and turn them in BEFORE you get in trouble. Also, tires should be mounted black walls OUT.

Old 10-10-2001, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta disagree with ya there... mine's got the white letters out, and she looks sharp when they're polished!

Old 10-12-2001, 12:25 AM
Flea

Fair enough. It IS a subjective thing. My truck is finally going in the shop in the morning to have new BFG Radial A/T 265-70-17's installed "Black walls out". I just like that look better.

But who am I to argue? Especially if you can play the bass like Flea? I am listening to "If you have to ask" right now. I would kill to play either guitar or bass like that...

Old 10-18-2001, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't play that good... yet. but I'm working on it. Keep in mind that Flea has been playing for I believe 27 years now, whereas I'm just entering my 4th year. I have quite a ways to go.

BTW... great song.

-Flea

Quick Reply: 4x4 shifter... where should it be?