Bypass 4WD for a road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass 4WD for a road trip

Apparently I still have a leak in the 4wd system but have to head back to TX in 2 days. Think it's the vacuum box and can't get a new on in time. How exactly can I plug off 4wd so I can drive back to TX without messing up hubs, hub accuators, and axles which are all new!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:32 PM
I would think if worse case you could pull the front drive shaft, your 4wd parts will still spin since they will still be locked into your hubs. But it won't be getting driven by the transfer case, and since the cv axles will be fully engaged, I don't see any damage to your new parts being done. Hope that came out clearly, maybe someone will have a simpler solution, but in all its just a few bolts to take out for the front drive shaft. And I'm speaking of the shaft exiting the transfer case going to the front diff.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Thought about this too but there's a leak in the vacuum so wouldn't they still attempt to engage? I plugged the reserve vacuum box with a bolt and bypassed it and seems to be good, no attempting to engage in 4wd and no noise. Quick fix till I can get a new vacuum box from ford

Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Yes they will fully engage at the hubs, but fully engaged shouldn't cause any problem. It's when you have a vacuum leak and they aren't fully engaging that messes stuff up. And since your drive shaft will be out there will be no actual 4wd occurring. This way you can safely drive on the highway at highway speeds. The front axle spinning will be totally independent of the rear axle. If your having success with the bolt/bypass you could go for it. But you have a greater risk of messing something up if it starts to lose vacuum. Just keep a good ear and feel for it during the trip, if it seems funny you'll have to pull over and rig it up again.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
If you simply pull and plug the vacuum lines to the IWE's, they will stay fully engaged.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It's just one line of two going to the actuator on the front axle. 97-03 models are color coded Pink and Blue. Not sure if the 04's still use those colors.

Over by the battery box and on the firewall you have two solenoids these lines plug into. Cap it @ the solenoid and plug the line.

That will work unless it isn't the problem. Usually the actuator rod locks up from lack of service. You service that with a cheap vac pump and WD40.

Quick Reply: Bypass 4WD for a road trip