Intermittent squealing....UGH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent squealing....UGH!

Hey guys,

I am new here so be nice!!! LOL! Seriously though, I have a 2002 F-150 SCREW FX4. when the truck has been run for about 20 miles or so I get a really loud squealing noise from the center of the truck. It seems to make like a click prior to the noise starting and the squeal is somewhat like pinching a balloon end while letting air out. The noise is the same whether faster or slower speeds and it does not make the noise while in park. The noise will continue when shifting to neutral after the noise had started. It is intermittent so it will do it for 3 seconds or 40 seconds or whatever... It is annoying as hell!

I have searched the forum here for the last hour or so and nobody that I found really had a definite solution. I pulled up to the house yesterday while the truck was making the noise and when I stopped it stopped so i got my jack and jacked up the rear wheels and put the truck in drive. This took about 40 seconds so it was still hot. I ran it up for about 3 mins and the noise would not sound. so i set the truck down jumped in and drove it around the block and within seconds the noise was there. so I have deduced that it will only happen under load while warm.

Any help would be great...Thanks you!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM
So nobody has any ideas??? Well its going to my mechanic monday, let's hope he can figure it out. I was hoping to give him a starting point....

Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There's a lot under a truck that can make noise.....

Leaning toward trans mount or loose exhaust......could also be a ujoint....

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
do you have the 2 pc driveshaft? hanger brgs will make noises when brg going out, ,,,,,,but you might get ready to dig deep in that billfold. Possible internal tranny problems, Mine does once in a while. But you have 4 x 4 so could be inside transfercase. like 88racing said,,,theres a lot going on under there and hard to really help much without hearing it.....just hope its not big bucks!

Quick Reply: Intermittent squealing....UGH!