Rear axle bearing or brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle bearing or brake problem

98 F150 supercab with rear drum. I got a noise from my truck, sounded like the brakes. Real faint. Pulled the fronts and the one shoe was just getting to metal. One the the tin slides was corrodings and kept the lower part of one shoe tight. Was able to turn the rotor so. Bearings were fine and repacked them.

Got is all put back together and still have the metal grinding sound. From the drivers seat couldnt tell where it was coming from. jacked up the truck and pulled the rear driver's wheel. Lots of shoe still left and everything looked ok.

With rear wheels in the air I started the truck and put it in gear. I get a light grinding sound from drivers side but not passenger side. I pulled the drum and it went away. Put the drum back on, held by a couple of lug nuts, and the sound comes back.

So do I have a bearing problem? or could the drum be out of round? How can I tell.

How hard is it to change a bearing. Cramped, cold garage and winter storm coming so I do realy want to messing around.

What tools do I need to change a bearing?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On they 98, because you have drums, you can check for warped drums by driving at 30-50mph, old down the e=braked release, and push down on the e-brake. If it surges, they are warped.
Another possibility is if the drum is rubbing against the back plate.

Quick Reply: Rear axle bearing or brake problem