Help! Strange sound when turning at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Strange sound when turning at low speed

OK I have a 98 4X2 that is making a popping sound when turning the wheel. I have only noticed it when turning from a stop or during parking. It sounds almost like a C/V joint thats gone bad on a front wheel drive car, only my truck is a 4X2 so I do not have a C/V joint, so what could be causing this noise? I am currently unemployed and do not have the money to take it in and pay to have someone tell me what's wrong. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I really need help here. Thanks

Old 07-30-2001, 10:38 PM
No ideas? Anything at all, Please.

Old 07-31-2001, 07:59 AM
Check your tie rods! Ford uses "greasless" ball joints and have been known to fail prematurely............Check for free play with the wheels turned under load and also with no load up on jack stands. You should not be able to move the tie rod up and down on the ball joint.........

Old 07-31-2001, 09:24 PM
Unhappy Too late!

I was driving it today and my ABS Light came on but went off when I shut my truck off and didn't come back on after I started it back up so I stopped by a local dealer this afternoon to see if they could tell me what could be wrong with the ABS that the light would act like that, they were no help, suggested power washing undercaridge and wheels. So I was leaving the dealer and as I turned the wheel hard left while going about 10MPH the ball joint went! It didn't go nicely either, the tierod end rammed into the stone shield for the rotor and then began shaving my rim! I parked it immediately and went inside to see a service advisor. He came out and looked at it and agreed that driving it further would be a bad idea! Oh and to top that off the dealer is thinking I'm going to need a new rim Has anyone else had this happen like this? Whats this going to cost me? Any chance of having Ford pickup some of the cost? (unemployed)

Quick Reply: Help! Strange sound when turning at low speed