1999 8.8 Differential ring bolts coming out

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 8.8 Differential ring bolts coming out

I had my truck regeared 8,000 miles (truck has 96,000 total miles)and exactly 1 year ago, and recently heard an awful grinding from what sounded like the rear end. I've heard it twice so I look under today and see the cover has a bunch of round dents in it, not good. Pull the cover to find 2 ring bolts completely out, 1 head sheared off and ALL the remaining bolts are loose!

I could replace all the bolts myself except for two as their holes still look fine. The one sheared off I don't think I can get out and another has a bent and mangled head so it looks stuck.

Do you think I have a case to go back to the shop that did the work and see if they'll fix this on the house or at least at a reduced rate? The fact that all the bolts are loose makes me think they didn't torque them right and that's why they're loosening.

The ABS speed sensor ring also got damaged (it was the source of the grinding).

Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You might get them to replace the parts but you may have to pay the labor. That may be the best you will do. I don't know. They should have trued the ring gear, and the bolts would have loctite on them I would believe. Can't see em turning loose. Breaking off, maybe over torqued more like it. Usually poor work leads to a very noisy axle soon after delivery, but you don't drive it that much. I drive that much in a couple months, so I have to have quality. No seconds at all.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
papa tiger is right, the shop should have some remorse in the failure, if they strive for quality.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I talked to the shop and then the mechanic that did the work and he remembered working on it and that a guy (who no longer works there) helped him with assembly and disassembly and all he could figure out was that that guy did not loctite them. I removed all of them myself and they indeed did not have loctite.

He told me if I got it there he'd make it right and check the front too. Good man for standing behind his work. He set the gears up great the first time, both ends are quiet

Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can't ask for more than that. Good deal.

Quick Reply: 1999 8.8 Differential ring bolts coming out