To LS or not to LS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I tell...

First of all, hi! I've been lurking for a while and finally have a few questions for the experts here.

I'm in the process of looking for a '99 or '00 lease return F150 SC.

Is there any physical way to tell if a truck has LS other than the sticker? Most of the time, the sales people are less than helpful about some of the details. When I'm visiting the dealers, I'm finding that I know more about these trucks than a lot of the salesmen (thanks to this site!)

Old 08-17-2001, 06:11 PM
Re: deroy-

deroy,

I think it would be more amusing to have the salesmsn jack up the entire rear end and spin one tire (to see if it has LS).

I could see the look on their faces as you say, "Nope not LS, see you guys later, thanks." and walk off. You would leave behind a sweaty, angry sales guy....hehehe...

Or you could stay there all day and have the salesman jacking away until you found one. "Nope not this one, let's try this one."

Old 08-17-2001, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post positraction

The easiest way to check for LS is to lay down a patch of rubber. If you leave one tire track no LS, if you leave a track of rubber from both rear tires You've got LS1

No....but seriously now, in my younger days I'd check by jacking both rear tires off the ground while the tranny was in park, emer. brake off. If you had LS you would'nt be able to turn either tire much at all. If you had no LS, you could spin one tire freely and the other would move in the opposite direction.

Another way to check is to put the trans in neutral, emer. brake off. Turn one tire while an able bodied assistant attempts to hold the other from moving. You should'nt be able to move one tire without the other moving along with it in the same direction, that's Limited Slip. If you held one still and were able to turn the other it would cause the driveshaft to turn instead, then it's not LS.

The traction advantages of an LS equipped rearend over non LS are obvious as both wheels are applying power to the ground as opposed to only one. This is all wonderful and hunky-dorry on the dry, flat, road but throw in a little snow, rain, or an off cambered driving surface into the situation and things get interesting real quick!

Imagine you are driving straight ahead on a snow covered road that's pitched to one side or the other and you accelerate enough to break the rear tires loose. With both rear tires spinning the rear of your vehicle will naturally fishtail towards the lowest side of the road whereas a truck without LS would be more likely to spin only one tire while the other three hold traction and keep going in the direction that you point it.

If it's slippery out and and you make a turn while accelerating enough to break the rear tires loose with your LS equipped vehicle, you'll also fish tail and your truck is gunna want to swap ends in a hurry. If you don't let of the gas quickly you'll find yourself facing in the opposite direction

Wow, I'm running off at the keyboard long enough but let me squeeze in one more thing. Fishtailing and traction loss are not reserved only for those that have LS. Non LS vehicles will do the same things under the right conditions but those that have LS should pay extra attention while driving in adverse conditions because their vehicle will generally behave differently.

Next time we can discuss the demonic attributes of the spool equipped differential.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:41 PM
Talking

I like the ideas! I can't wait to see what the salesman says when I ask him to jack the rear tires up! That or maybe I'll ask him to come along for a ride and see what the rubber patch looks like (and watch the salesman's face turn white!)

Thanks for the advice guys. I feel sorry for the poeple who go out and try to buy without looking into a forum like this!

Old 08-20-2001, 01:52 PM
thanks for chiming in le pew. i've been trying to get across the notion about fishing tailing here. LS is treacherous on slippery roads (ice/snow). probably ok on wet unless you are a real nut case. if you've ever driven 100 miles on ice with the LS causing the rear end to wag back and forth constantly, you know what i'm talking about. let's just say your deoderant won't be able to keep up with the stress levels of trying to keep the vehicle out of the ditch. it makes for an interesting little dance.

Quick Reply: To LS or not to LS...