To LS or not to LS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool To LS or not to LS...

I'm starting my search for a '99 or '00 F-150. I know I want a 4.6, auto, SC, 3.55. The question is, to get the LS or not. I will be using the truck to tow up to a 4000lb boat and teh ramps around here can get slippery this time of year. I've heard some people who don't like the way the LS handles on the highway. Can anyone offer any help here?

Old 08-10-2001, 09:28 AM
GET THE LS! It will make getting your boat out much easier. I have the open axle on my F150, and I have spun the tires several times pulling much lighter trailers than yours. That is my one big mistake with my current truck, no LS. I am sure almost everyone on this board will tell you the same thing. My last truck had LS, and it was really nice when pulling a trailer that was over 7,000 lbs. through slick areas in 2wd.

Old 08-10-2001, 10:09 AM
More info

Thanks PSD2V6

I want one, but I'm concerned about a couple things. How long do the LS clutches last and do they affect gas milage? Do they try to operate at highway speeds? (I have a lead foot on curvey roads). What does it cost to replace the clutch packs? If the clutches wear out, does it essentially revert to being on open diff (ie. won't slip to the point of not being able to drive if the packs are too worn to stick)?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm ready to buy and start enjoying the truck. I'm a nervous type person and LS just seems like nice insurance, esp. for those lone man fishing trips. My little 2wd ranger pulls my current 2000lb boat just fine unless the ramp is as slick as it was yesterday. (Keeping the Ranger as my daily driver, ('92, V6, 5spd = blast to drive)

Old 08-10-2001, 10:12 AM
BTW

For the record, not really interested in 4x4. I believe LS will do what I need, but just want some folks to confirm and let me know about driving/maintaining an LS since I've never had one and don't know what to expect. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2001, 01:26 PM
My truck is the first LS I've owned and I coundn't be happier. The only time I notice it is cold weather going around right hand corners slow, occaicionally (nor more than 10% of the time). I have never noticed it on the highway. Oh yah, Last fall I am certain I would not have been able to pull my pontoon out of the water without it. There is some technique to using it effectively. You don't want to just gun it on the ramp. You can still slip one side if enough torque is applied. So you want to use just enough to make it move. Or you can try biasing by applying a little parking break. This keeps the torque differential between the 2 back wheels close to the same. Take it slow.

As far as longevity and maintenance. I really have no idea. I would expect (and hope for) 100,000 miles.

Bottom line; its cheap and I can't find a down side.

Last edited by Tiger; 08-11-2001 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:46 PM
Get the LS! My last truck had it and I had about 110,000 miles on it with no problems from it. Spirited driving on twisty roads it doesn't cause any problems. Do you ever spin the inside tire when turning a corner? With a LS that will be minimized. The truck I have now sounds like what you're looking for. I pull a 27' popup camper That weighs about 2500lbs and I load the bed with gear & toys for the kids and I. It pulls great. When I was in Old Forge last month I had to pull up a pretty steep ,rocky road to get to the site. I think if I had an open diff i would have spun a tire a couple of times getting into and out of the site. Especially when I wasn't hooked up the the camper.

DF

Old 08-10-2001, 03:18 PM
4,000 lb. boat on a slippery ramp? Don't even try this without a LS rear. Well, you could, but you'd probably want about 500 lbs of sand over the rear wheels and if that didn't work, you'd want to sprinkle some of that sand on the ramp and air down your rear tires to about 20 lbs or so. Am I painting a picture for ya?

Old 08-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Just another thumbs up, it's an absolute bargain.

Old 08-13-2001, 12:46 PM
LS

Get it. I did. I love it. No brainer, don't sweat this one. I notice no ill effects from mine.

Old 08-13-2001, 05:15 PM
just be careful accelerating around a corner with LS under slippery conditions or you can quickly wind up facing the direction you came from. and under icy conditions you can have a darn hard time keeping the rear end underneath you. it likes to waggle when both wheels are spinning. this is extremely easy to do on ice. without LS, the wheel that is not spinning at least keeps the rear end from going side to side. if you're a louisiana man pulling your bass boat out of the landing you might not care about this issue. however, if you live in the great white north, LS can be as much a problem as a solution. that's why we all drive 4x4 up here. sorry guys, but it is not a no-brainer IMO.

Old 08-13-2001, 05:54 PM
Q: How long do the LS clutches last

A: Forever, unless you like to spin the tires around turns

Q: do they affect gas milage?

A: No

Q: Do they try to operate at highway speeds?

A: No

Q: What does it cost to replace the clutch packs? $100 plus 2 hours of labor.

Q: If the clutches wear out, does it essentially revert to being on open diff?

A: Yes

Q: won't slip to the point of not being able to drive if the packs are too worn to stick?

A: Not at all

Pulling a boat out of the lake - the magic words for advising one to get the LS

Plus: Like Max said, It's a bargain (and you can impress your kids with really-cool donuts in the snow).

Old 08-13-2001, 09:42 PM
Many thanks

Many thanks for all the info and insight. Looks like teh LS is definetly on my shopping list. In regards to the probs with LS in the snow that were brought up, I'm in middle Tennessee near Nashville. We see very few snow days (ice is another story). On those days I'd fill the bed of my ranger with 500lbs or so OR take the wife's FWD Contour. I'm tired of cringing at the thought of fishing by myself because I wonder if the Ranger can get enough traction. It's a fun truck, just isn't big enough for towing.

I knew this was the place for answers! if anyone has any more comments, I welcome them.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Y2K, . . they DO work at highway speeds. if you are driving on ice and hit the throttle hard enough . .it kicks in. been there . . done that. i still say . . .LS is OK south of the mason-dixon line. above it, get 4x4.

Old 08-14-2001, 09:51 AM
If your above it get 4x4 and LS!!

Old 08-17-2001, 08:55 AM
Right on the money Y2K Red Sport! The 4x4 takes any "wag" out of the situation on slippery roads because the front end is pulling. And LS with 4x4 is unbelievable for traction. My dad and I got stuck in snow once with this combo; but the snow was half way up the doors so we had to roll down the windows to get out. The only thing that stopped the truck was that the wheels weren't touching the ground anymore. We had to shovel the snow from under the truck to lower the chassis. Once on the ground, we were on our way again. Unbelievable but true.

Quick Reply: To LS or not to LS...