Winter Engine Build (2001 F150 5.4L 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Engine Build (2001 F150 5.4L 4x4)

Hey I havent really done much on the forums along the way of posting or joining discussions and I know there are similar threads but I want some more specific questions answered.

I have a 2001 Xlt with the 5.4l 2v, auto trans, 4x4 with the 3:73 gears. my truck has been heavily customized from its bone stock first car days to where it is now. I decided to go a different direction than all my friends and now it is lowered, shaved, and has a semigloss black with black pinstripes paint job, it is a street truck with a 4x4 trans (lol I know bear with me). I have done every cheap mod a kid can think of (air intake, throttle body spacer, exhaust, headers, nitrous, fuel cell with c12 and fuel pump etc.) and being that I havent done anything to the block it is still not nearly fast enough. If your wondering, yes I can handle copious amounts of power (I learnt to drive in a 73 Mach 1 four speed, and get to drive the new 5.8l gt500's at my work) so I am not looking to be lectured on what I can handle.

Now the point of this thread:

I am in college now so money is a little tight but not too tight and I am looking to get massive improvements in power over the next couple months so that when the snow melts (I live in northern Canada) my truck will be already to drive and take to shows. I am mostly looking for low end power for drifting and drag racing. I have looked at many things and these are what my plans are right now

-Trick Flow top end kit
-get my block cleaned
-new pistons
-fuel rails
-upgraded injectors
-upgraded fuel pump
-I also know I need to do something to my transmission but I need help to know what to do.

and when I get the money a new procharger

my main question is, is this a good idea? Will it suffice? Can my block handle this increase (the top end kit is said to take er to 380HP alone). Will my transmission be able to handle this power?

I dont have all that much knowledge when it comes to these things (there aint a mechanic in the family nor my friends) so I'm not sure if this is a good idea or if it will cause more problems down the road. Please advise me if this is a good idea or give me some ideas of your own for this build.

my budget is somewhere around $5000-$8000 including labour (excluding procharger) and the procharger isnt an immediate need/want I basically want to prepare my engine and transmission(/anything else i need to) for when i have the money to go for forced induction.

any help is greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: Winter Engine Build (2001 F150 5.4L 4x4)