Engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine knocking

two weeks ago I noticed my V8 engine making a knocking noise. This was about 10 days after an oil change. The vehicle is a 2009 F150 with 75,000 miles on it. I bought it new and have changed oil as scheduled. I took the truck to the dealership. I was told that valves have gone bad and the engine needs to be replaced at a cost of $6300. They further said that from the look of the oil in the oil pan they could not understand why the valves went bad. I would appreciate any thoughts on this as I cannot believe that the engine needs to be replaced after only 75000 miles.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
What oil and what brand of filter? I'd it possible that a filter came apart and stopped up the passages?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I highly doubt the valves went bad..sounds like a B/S story from the dealer. Is the knocking noise only on startup? If so what brand oil filter are you using? Take it to another dealer.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-26-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad news knock

What you have is the dreaded knock in the 5.4 and 4.6. Mine sounded like a lifter rattle or loosed rocker. I also had a bottom end knock later on. there is a problem with oil flow to the cams at the rear and then as they wear out the pressure drops and causes the knock. Then the metal goes to the bottom end and eats up the thrust bearing causing the crank to float back and forth and thus the lower knock. Your dealer knows the exact cause. they have a service bulletin on it, look it up. They go to the vehicle and listen at the wheel well for the rattle and which side it is. I will bet it is on the right bank? My engine was replaced by Ford for $5700 for a re manufactured ford engine. I could have saved over a thousand at a garage but the truck was at the dealership and was torn down to find the problem. Ford is covering up the problem blaming too many years to surface for them to help us. There are hundreds of these cases and we would have to go class action to get something done.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking