Help with rear end replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with rear end replacement

Rear end needs to be replaced. Put a new axle shaft on one side after a bearing failure. Then had to get it rebuilt. Now it's making noise again so I'm just going to replace it.

Axle assembly is a Ford 9.75. Seems like the E-250 up rear ends are a dime a dozen so I was thinking of snagging one of those. Only problem is I know I will have to swap out axle shafts to go from 8 lug to 5 lug

What I'm trying to figure out is how to check cross compatibility from an Econoline axle shaft to an F-150 axle shaft. I have found very little information from my searching. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 PM
The Econoline axle shafts will be a different length than the axle in the pick-up truck. The vans have a different offset from left to right on the axles.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I was afraid of that.

If I got shafts for an E-150 and put them in, would that work under my truck?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
If you go look at an Econoline Van, the pinion offset should be much further to the curb side, versus an F-series, which has the centerline of the pinion in the middle of the vehicle. I have some engineering experience; however, someone smarter than myself would have to run the offset dimensions thru a cad program to determine if the F150 would be able to utilize a rear axle assembly whit such drastic right-side pinion offset. I doubt it would ever work with satisfactory results. My inclination would be the engine in the Econoline series might set further to the curb side? Parts for the 9.75" are quite expensive! Something is telling me there is an early and a late bearing kit. Is your Diff. still under warranty from the previous Rebuilder?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Sorry for the late reply. Work isn't giving me much personal time.

I wish it was still under warranty. Then I wouldn't have to deal with all of this.

I've also had to deal with the headache of the different bearings. Show up to a parts store and ask for 9.75 bearings and even lug nuts, and you'll get a mish-mash of parts.

Anyway, I suppose I will have to order a stock replacement for an f-150. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Help with rear end replacement