concerning problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
concerning problems

Hey there!

I purchased an 03 F150 Super crew this summer seems to be a good working truck! Except im finding a front end problem and wondering if someone would be able to help me out! This may end up being more then one problem...

So when i first purchased the truck when i would turn on 4x4 and accelerate i wouldnt have any problems but when i let off the gas there was this weird sounding hum from the front end.. When i dis engaged the 4x4 and let off the gas it would go away... this happened every once and a while... last weekend i turned a corner and heard some squeaking but thought maybe a rock. now (today) we had a huge snowfall so i am driving around with 4x4 on and i hear the usual hum when i got onto a dry stretch of pavement i disengaged the 4x4 and let off the gas everything seemed to be normal but about five minutes in i noticed a pile of snow coming up so i engaged again and the truck felt very sluggish and started to create this higher vibration... when i disengaged same vibration.. so i parked it and now when the truck is at idle (perhaps the other problem) the truck vibrates... would the hum be a wheel bearing and the vibration another problem or do i have a few?

Help!!!!

thanks!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start simple;
does the front diff have correct amount of gear lube in it?
Does the tranny have the correct level of fluid, (presume auto tranny here)

another presumption is that you have the electric transfer case engagement, not the manual lever...true? If that be true....then you may have a vacuum leak at the front diff activation solenoid

Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The vibration would have nothing to do with the front end, if it occurs at idle. My guess is you have a bad COP(s) or splashed some water or slush up around the COPs, causing a misfire. As far as the noise is concerned, the front end will make some noise while in 4x4. Difficult to tell whether normal or a problem.

Quick Reply: concerning problems