Flushes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
When I did my power steering, I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

To flush the brakes, you have to use the appropriate bleeding procedure - if you really want to do it, it would probably be best to take it to a shop and have it done. You may want to defer this till you are doing a brake job anyway. The ABS requires a special procedure. It takes standard DOT 3 fluid.

If it's never been done, at 100k I'd do the transmission and differential/differentials and transfer case (4wd).

To clean the MAF, get a spray can of MAF cleaner and open the air cleaner. With the straw in the can, you can get at the tip of the MAF in the intake tube. Be careful not to actually touch the tip of the MAF, just give it a couple shots and let it dry for a few minutes.
Is this what your talking about thought this was only for transmissions?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...l+1#fragment-1

Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
When I did my power steering, I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

To flush the brakes, you have to use the appropriate bleeding procedure - if you really want to do it, it would probably be best to take it to a shop and have it done. You may want to defer this till you are doing a brake job anyway. The ABS requires a special procedure. It takes standard DOT 3 fluid.

If it's never been done, at 100k I'd do the transmission and differential/differentials and transfer case (4wd).

To clean the MAF, get a spray can of MAF cleaner and open the air cleaner. With the straw in the can, you can get at the tip of the MAF in the intake tube. Be careful not to actually touch the tip of the MAF, just give it a couple shots and let it dry for a few minutes.
I had the differentials done about 2 weeks ago. As far as the transmission i know i need to get it done but ive called a couple places to get quotes. They each told me different ways to do it and ofcourse they each said their way was the best. One place said they just suction it all out through the dipstick and the other drops the pan and changes the filter also. Which would you suggest for getting it done.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Ford power steering units use ATF, not power steering fluid.

Neither way - those both only get the 5 quarts out of the pan, the transmission holds 14 quarts. The rest is in the torque converter. Find a shop that uses an exchange machine to get it all out.

Quick Reply: Flushes