Flushes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushes

Just hit 100,000 miles and im doing some flushes and such. Do i need to get my power steering flushed never heard of doing it. Thanks for any input. Also anything i might be overlooking to get done while im doing everything?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You can use a turkey baster and pull out of the reservoir. Then top it off. In a few weeks do it again and I'd say repeat it 3-4 times and you should clean it out. I'd look at serpentine belt and belt-drive components for wear if they are still factory as well as changing your other fluid or radiator hoses.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:30 AM
I had my serpentine replaced about 2 years ago with a Goodyear Gatorback. Would it be worth $30 to let someone flush the power steering for me? Had my coolant flushed and went ahead and had the hoses replaced one had a small leak so had it all replaced. Next im doing spark plugs i was thinking about using Autolite Double Platinum or Iridium are those good for our trucks. Since im doing want to use decent plugs make it done right. Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stay with the Motorcraft plugs. It's hard to beat OEM ignition parts on these trucks.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's your 30 bucks, but I've never flushed a power steering system. I have done the turkey baster and replace though.

MOTORCRAFT plugs, no antiseize, torque to 28 ft/lb (assuming 4.6 or 5.4 V8).

Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM
My engine is the 5.4. I order the Motorcraft plugs and go with those. As far as the power steering flush im going to do the turkey baster and do it myself. Also one other question y'all ever heard of or tried Royal Purple, Purple Ice for the radiator. Is that any good or just a waste of money? Was at autozone and happened to see it and thought before i bought it i would just ask y'all. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
glc
I wouldn't use it - I'd use the recommended long life coolant with no additives.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM
they're called wallet flushes.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:57 AM
I'm going to siphon out the power steering fluid this weekend. Any fluid you would suggest over the others? Can i do the same thing for the brakes or do i need to get those professional done if i can what fluid is good for it also? Also how hard is it to clean the mass air flow sensor on an '03 was going to do it all this weekend. Thanks again for all yalls help much rather do it myself than pay a shop to do it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:59 AM
glc
When I did my power steering, I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

To flush the brakes, you have to use the appropriate bleeding procedure - if you really want to do it, it would probably be best to take it to a shop and have it done. You may want to defer this till you are doing a brake job anyway. The ABS requires a special procedure. It takes standard DOT 3 fluid.

If it's never been done, at 100k I'd do the transmission and differential/differentials and transfer case (4wd).

To clean the MAF, get a spray can of MAF cleaner and open the air cleaner. With the straw in the can, you can get at the tip of the MAF in the intake tube. Be careful not to actually touch the tip of the MAF, just give it a couple shots and let it dry for a few minutes.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
they're called wallet flushes.
Thats great, I'm gonna use that!

I do the turkey baster style flush. I have had PS fluid get dirty and foamy on me and make the pump/rack howl in the past and a couple fluid refreshers like this solved the problem. Now I try and do it before the howl starts

Old 11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by glc

To flush the brakes, you have to use the appropriate bleeding procedure - if you really want to do it, it would probably be best to take it to a shop and have it done. You may want to defer this till you are doing a brake job anyway. The ABS requires a special procedure. It takes standard DOT 3 fluid.
I disagree,

Anyone can do a brake flush easily at home, no special procedure needed. You are not introducing air into the ABS system because you are not opening anything up before the ABS system.

#1 rule make sure the reservoir always has plenty of fluid

#2 open all the bleeders and let gravity do its thing

#3 see #1

#4 close the bleeders when brake fluid is running clear

Yeah its that easy

Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by GTXKen
I disagree,

Anyone can do a brake flush easily at home, no special procedure needed. You are not introducing air into the ABS system because you are not opening anything up before the ABS system.

#1 rule make sure the reservoir always has plenty of fluid

#2 open all the bleeders and let gravity do its thing

#3 see #1

#4 close the bleeders when brake fluid is running clear

Yeah its that easy
I guess I'll try that procedure. I haven't heard of it before. I've always used the pump the pedal and bleed method. There is a vacuum device that can be used isn't there?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM
glc
I've never tried to do it, but I've been told that brake bleeding with ABS requires a computer to keep the ABS valves open. I may be mistaken.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM
It's a gravity bleed. ABS is open at rest. The only time you need to cycle ABS during a bleed is when you introduce air before it like at the master or master lines.

I've used vacuum devices before and wasn't impressed, maybe the one I used was a cheap one. Then again gravity bleeding requires no special tools, just be patient, it takes a few minutes before it gets going. Just don't leave it unattended, remember #1 make sure the reservoir always has plenty of fluid.

Quick Reply: Flushes