Front Bumper/Tire Chain Clearence

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Bumper/Tire Chain Clearence

The front bumper/airdam on my '99 F150 4X4 s/c Off-Road does not look like it will clear my front tires when I install tire chains. There is less than 2 inches clearence between plastic and rubber without them now. Does any one know of a way to move the front bumper forward about 2-3 inches so I can get ~4-6 inches clearence? I have heard of a kit that addresses this issue but my local Ford parts dealer has not.

Old 08-29-2001, 04:04 PM
Post Sawz-all

The easiest way to take care of this problem is with a sawz-all. Just trim the plastic and then take a little sandpaper to smooth the edge. It is a common practice and you only notice it if you get really close and know that the valence is supposed to be straight down where it's now at an angle. Many guys do this to fit larger tires into their wheel wells.

Old 08-30-2001, 05:26 PM
Sawz-all? Yikes!!

Wow. I just finished drilling two tiny holes under the dash to accomodate a trailer brake controller. I just about cried. i couldn't imagine taking a sawz-all to the fender so my chains would fit.
Frank, I have the same problem as you. My upcoming hunting trip involves a week of slopping around in the loon-*****. My solution is to strap the jewlery onto the rear tires. With two big-ol V-Bar chains on the rear, my truck will go anywhere.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:37 AM
Thanks -

I think putting chains on the rear will have to do. Though a fit check on the front tires would be an good afternoon project.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper/Tire Chain Clearence