"Clunking" from 4x2 to 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Clunking" from 4x2 to 4x4?

I have the 5 speed, with the 4x4 shifter on the floor...when I "pop" it into 4x4 at a stop, OR a slow rate of speed in neutral, then slip it in gear and gas it, the front end "pops" about three times, then all is good. During the popping, it doesn't feel like the 4x4 is working yet. My 99' didn't do this. I had a 98" Ranger "Shift On the Fly" that would pop once when the vapor locking hubs would kick in, but I'm not sure what this is...almost sounds the same, but you can feel it and it's louder. Now, if I put it in 4x4 and wait about 5 secs., it doesn't make a sound and I can feel nothing. What gives? The first time it happened, I was getting on the highway, and didn't notice it was slick yet, so I floored it, and the tires spun...so I quickly popped into 4x4, and gassed it to avoid getting run over...could this have done some damage? TIA!!!
-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road, S/C, FS, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.[*] Flowmaster 40 (3" x 20" "Turn-Down") [*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] "Light Argent" 4X4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (JL ProWedge Box)

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 12-13-2000, 04:58 PM
Lightbulb

YES, If you shifted into 4hi, while the rear tires were spinning, then you very well could have damaged the CAD (central axle disconnect). Thats about the same as shiftind from Nuetral to 1st without using the clutch

------------------
BigBunnell

98 F150 4X4 XLT flareside V6 5sp K&N Flowmaster and some other goodies

Old 12-13-2000, 05:23 PM
I wasn't gassin' it...I was rollong, which is OK, at about 20 mph, with it in neutral and the clutch pushed in...then I popped it into 4 hi, and let the clutch out, and gave her some gas, and that's when it happened...

-AR

Old 12-14-2000, 08:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It takes a few seconds for the center disconnect to engage... That's what that second click is when you throw the shifter... the lever engages the transfer case directly, but the vacuum still engages the disconnect. Sounds like you jumped the gun on it and might have damaged the yoke or gear assembly. I actually had the opportunity to see a clear lexan setup of this type in one of my classes a couple of months ago. It's really simply designed, but looks like a rpita to fix.
-Joe-

Quick Reply: "Clunking" from 4x2 to 4x4?