Rear End Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear End Replacement

I have a 2000 F150 XLT 4x2 v6 with a 3.31 gear ratio. My previous truck had a 3.55ls. I want to upgrade to at least the 3.55ls and would like to use aftermarket parts.

I recently talked to a mechanic who said that it would be cheaper to install a used complete rear end but with only 10000 miles on the truck I dont want used parts.

I dont haul anything now but i am wondering if i should opt for the 3.73ls (if possible) as I am thinking of increasing my tire/wheel size. What are some quality gear manufacturers? What gear ratio should I opt for? How much work is involved in installing the gears?

Old 10-10-2001, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

You could get a 3:55 gear set and a Powertrax unit. It's a unit that locks during straight driving, and unlocks for turns. They run a little over $400, plus the cost of gears and installation. Still probably MUCH cheaper than a whole rear axle assembly,,,,,98

http://www.powertrax.com

Old 10-10-2001, 11:12 AM
so powertrax is kind of like a limited slip, but better? im asking because i was thinking of adding a limited slip to my rearend, but if powertrax is streetable, then ill go for that. thanks!

Old 10-10-2001, 01:19 PM
Thumbs up

The Powertrax guys do a better job of explaining it than I could, but yes, it's streetable. From what I've read on their site, they convert an open differential to a "posi" unit, also. Makes it a great option for us traction deprived guys I'm planning to do a 4:10, with one of their units next year. My truck ought to live up to its looks then,,,,98

Old 10-10-2001, 08:16 PM
Smile

See what they have to say about LS/posi style rear differentials on this page. I know it's a little sensationalistic(whew), but is partly true. I've heard of guys having trouble with the clutch packs wearing out(burning up?) I think I'm still going with Powertrax,,,,98

http://www.powertrax.com/traction.htm

Old 10-11-2001, 02:18 PM
Powertrax is a bunch of crap I had one installed for a week and it had 4:10 gears on it and was very noisey and some times would hang up on turns draging the outside tire save your money aftermarket LS would be much better.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:40 AM
replacement procedures

Thanks for the replies...I will check out the site. The mechanic that I was talking to had planned to trade my rear end assembly for a used one with Limited slip gears.

What is involved in the replacement of the gears? Can I use any size rear end from 3.31 to 4.10? How much should I expect to pay for the install if I purchase the gears myself?

Wayne

Old 10-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Smile Gears

I had 3:73 gears (not LS) installed by the dealer before I took delivery of my '01 SuperCrew. The total charge was $575 which included resetting the computer.

Last edited by Talltail; 10-12-2001 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2001, 10:34 AM
Uhhhh..... road_rage.
Which one of the Powertrax units did you get?? They have one that acts like an LS unit, and the other is a locker style. If you got the locker, no wonder it made noise and would drag a tire. They says it's only recommended
for extreme off road conditions, and recreational offroad vehicles. All lockers make noise and sometimes act like yours did,,,,,98

Old 10-15-2001, 05:25 PM
powertrax locker type didn't suggest off road only.

Old 10-15-2001, 05:34 PM
Says on the website:

Although smoother than other competitive locking differentials, the brute force characteristics of the Powertrax Lock-Right Locker limit general application in less tolerant and more mainstream applications. In some vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves and allowing the wheels to differentiate in a turn. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. We recommend the Lock-Right for vehicles that are primarily driven in severe driving conditions or are used for recreational off-road. For vehicles that are driven daily or require more mainstream application, the Powertrax No-Slip Traction System offers a quieter and smoother performance. Please see the No-Slip Traction System page

Sorry about that, maybe you were mislead by their dealer?

Old 10-22-2001, 08:57 PM
When our 99, F-150's factory L/S fail's, It will get an Auburn "Pro-Series" carrier or an Eaton-Posi. As for new ring & pinions, I have had better luck with US Gear (I have built probably three thousand differentials in my career).

Quick Reply: Rear End Replacement