Locker Available for 8.8 IFS Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Locker Available for 8.8 IFS Axle

For F-150 fans there is a Detroit "True-Trac" that has been designed for 8.8 Ford IFS (front) axle. The nice thing about the true-trac is that it works like a standard differential. It has no clutches. It utilizes two independant annulas ring assemblies enclosed in the unit. Two independant annulas or planetaries let the differential work as if it is two units in one. The right and left side will pull independant, seperately or togrther.
I have searched high and low for the part number for the 27-spline axle unit for the 8.8 IFS; however, I cannot find the part number. I hope this answers many questions of have seen posted here lately on the forum. Good luck, Gearman.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:12 PM
Re: Locker Available for 8.8 IFS Axle

gearmanx17

The only hesitation I have is that in Detroit True-Trac's own application literature, they strongly suggest not installing the device in a vehicle that will be used even moderately on-road. This hints that it affects handling in the center disconnect system.

Let me know (if you are installing) how it works...

Old 10-15-2001, 04:13 AM
Angry

I completely destroyed the tru trac in my 87 Bronco. I was running a stock 302, 3.55 gears, and 32" tires at the time. I was going up a loose packed hill in first gear, 2wd. All the sudden it totally gave out. I started rolling down the hill backwards and nearly rolled when I went into the ditch at the bottom. It was a 31 spline 8.8 rear unit. I replaced it with a detroit locker and had no more problems.

Mitch

Old 10-15-2001, 06:49 PM
cpadpl

I have lost my brocure listing on the true-trac and Detroit Lockers. I remember seeing ***'s on the footnotes; however, I can't remember the meaning of the footnotes on the true-trac. I believe you may be on to something. About five months ago, I believe I seen a post by a member here that had used one in a
8.8 IFS with sucess.

Old 10-16-2001, 11:56 AM
Unhappy Not compatible

I have emailed the detroit people in the past and they do not recommend putting the tru trac in the front 8.8 on our trucks. The reason for this is that there is a problem holding the axles in place. Randy's ring and pinion have come up with their own fix for this but I will wait until either Detroit or prowertrax come out with a locker designed for the front. I may even have to go with an ARB unit. I can hear the ching-ching of the credit card now.

Quick Reply: Locker Available for 8.8 IFS Axle