To Lock or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To Lock or not

I just placed my order for a set of 4.56 gears for my truck. Now, there was one hill that really ticked me off this weekend because I had three wheels spinning and I need that fourth one to move. I was thinking about a Tru Trac, or a powertrax and have written both companies inquiries. My last option is the ARB but pricing them out, I see nothing less than 780 for the locker and compressor. Now for all of you out there, is the ARB worth the price if i'm taking her offroad almost every month, sometimes more than that. Next question is, what lockers are available for the rear? I have a limited slip but might want something more solid than that in the future. I know that the ARB is not compatible with the ABS excitor ring that sits in the diff housing since you have to replace that in the install. I'm thinking christmas present for myself. I've got the gears, next month may be the locker and then december might be install, we'll see. Thanks, klaibs

Old 10-16-2001, 11:52 PM
For the front or the back??

I would put a detroit locker in the back and an ARB in the front if you really want (need) to be locked up.

Ian

ps - I reread your post and figure you must be talking about the back diff since you mention the ABS ring. But if you only lock up the back you can still have three spinning since the front diff is open.

Old 10-17-2001, 12:50 AM
Post both

I'm looking for a locker for the rear and then one that is compatible with the front. Mainly the rear though since the IFS question has been brought up and discussed a bunch of times. I have the 9.75 rear end with the limited slip in now but might need a little more.

Old 10-17-2001, 05:30 PM
Unhappy From Powertrax

The 9.75" model has been designed, but not put into production yet. No date
has been set for production either. Maybe summer 2002.

The 8.8" IFS model has also been designed and is waiting for approval before
being put into production. Maybe summer 2002 also.

This is for the No-slip traction system. In case you all wanted to know.

I just had the best idea. I wrote powertrax an email stating that I would be willing to be a guinea pig for these lockers. Let's see what they say!!!

Last edited by klaibs27; 10-17-2001 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:27 PM
Hey, tell them that I'll volunteer to try them out on the 8.8

Old 10-17-2001, 08:15 PM
Re: To Lock or not

klaibs,

hows it going? Nice, pic, I guess you're not bull****ting about offroading frequently. Anyway, why not get the Detroit EZ for the rear (exact same design, or near exact, as Powertrax, so much so there is a lawsuit, or was a lawsuit). I'm not sure, but I'd bet they make it for your application.

Then just wait for the Powertrax front application. That locked rear end should push you further than that ls, and you may be able to do without the front for awhile. That ARB is indeed serious stuff, but you know, I don't want drilling in my diff cover (then you are definitely changing out your axle fluid more often), or an air compressor mounted in my engine compartment , or a bigger alternator to feed all that crap. But I'm not doing stuff like you. Powertrax seems soooo simple. It's a question of how long can you wait?

Old 10-18-2001, 01:33 AM
ARBs rock! Basically go from an open diff for the street, snow and ice to a spool for offroading!

For the front, that is the best thing to install there with the front central axle disconnect system.

For the rear, I would leave that as it is working if both wheels are spinning. I assume the front only has one wheel spinning.

Forgot to add that with a ARB or spool up front, that is for straight only. YOu will not turn with it locked up, or at least what you are use to turning

Last edited by Matt90GT; 10-18-2001 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:26 AM
Yep, gotta love ol 600 acres IA There are a few spots that you could really use that ARB there.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:30 AM
As soon as the ARB unit is available for the 9.75 read diff I'm replacing my LS with one. I don't like LS in slick stuff. There are a dozen reasons the hard core off roades love those things. They rock! Besides, its good to have a compressor onboard for an easy tire air-up after playing in the dirt/gook.

Good luck -

Dumbest thing I ever heard while four wheeling - "Hold my beer and watch this".

Old 10-22-2001, 09:08 PM
Post From Tractech

Makers of Detroit lockers...I received this a couple days ago:

We have no plans at this time to change the design on the 8.8 Ford axle so
Randy's fix is the only way to go at this time. I am sorry but we do not
offer anything for the 9.75.

That was in response to a question I asked about putting the Trutrac up front and putting anything in the rear...

cpapdl, thanks for the compliment. I'm in the same boat with modifying that diff cover...I'm just soo torn right now...

I just received my 4.56's today so now I'm really looking hard for this locker since I want to do all the installations at once. I'm still waiting for word back from powertrax on being a guinea pig. Keep those finger's crossed boys/girls !!!

Old 10-25-2001, 06:25 PM
Post looks like ARB

Well, i got a reply from powertrax about being their guinea pig and it's a no go. Oh well, looks like I'll be buying that ARB after all in a few weeks.

Old 10-25-2001, 06:30 PM
Re: looks like ARB

klaibs27

You need to learn how to market yourself better. Maybe if you had 4-wheeled through their production facilitiy, you would have won them over....or spent 3-5 years in prison..A real man would take the risk..

Anyway, what are you going to do for the rear? I'd worry about stressing that front axle (not trying to rain on your parade). I would think you'd want your bestessness in the rear with the stronger axle..Maybe TWO ARB's!!!!

Old 10-26-2001, 12:38 PM
personally, i would put a powertraxx lock-rite locker front & rear. However, if you plan to do a lot of on-highway driving, a locker is not reccomended in the front though... (stupid automatic hubs)

Old 11-02-2001, 04:04 PM
ARB!ARB!ARB!ARB! Step up to the plate and go dual ARB'S They WORK! Or save some cash and go ARB front and spool rear. I've owned many l/s, lockers and spooled vehicles. ARB is the sweet set up on or off road. Spooled when you want, but doesn't attract attention in parking lots when you turn it off. If you want to go hardcore, don't even bother with the ARB air unit, add a York A/C compressor unter the hood and have onboard air. Will require some custom fab work but you'll have the SWEET set up.

Old 11-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Talking ARB

Well, the ARB locker and air unit came in the mail today actually. I have to wait until december to put it in considering cash is at a premium right now. I can't wait to get this and the 4.56's in!!

Quick Reply: To Lock or not