Another Limited Slip Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,

My experience with Auburn "Pro Series" carrier in my 79 F150 has been a good one. I can go places with the Auburn and not get stuck in Mud or Snow; whereas, the OEM Trac-loc would usually leave me stuck. It was sure embarrasing having my Bro-in law hook to the F150 to pull it out of the yard at the cabin in November (he had a Toyota). That is when I decided bye-bye to the Trac-loc.

Auburn sells rebuild kits for their differentials. Most used trac-loc's I have seen where too messed up to rebuild. The Trac-loc OEM ford part# should be M4204F318 (31-spline for 8.8"). Can't remember the part# on the Auburn Pro series.

Be sure to install Ford OEM Friction modifier or Dana part# 43161 to any L/S diff. Other brands I have found don't seem to work well at all.

When our 99 F150 messes up the trac-loc, It will get an Auburn or Eaton Posi.

Old 11-05-2001, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that the you guys are sating the Auburn is definetly better, but you say it wears out faster. How fast is fast? I only drive the truck about 10,000 miles a year with only occasionally. Will it last only 2 or 3 years? Or can I expect longer. Also why does the Auburn require only non-synthetic fluid? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Another Limited Slip Question