LS axle-is it dangerous in rain/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2000, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realized I didn't mention that it's important that the rear tires are equally inflated.

Old 11-26-2000, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dennis I have done that many times it does help some but I still get wheel spin when going up a hill in the rain from a stop when I take off in 2nd gear.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:31 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Thumbs up

Humm, interesting thread. I really didnt realize how a LS worked before. Or what it can do--or do to you.

I live in ice-n-snow country, and will be getting a 4x4--but I dont think it will have a LS. My jeeps dont and they are fine on bad roads. and trails.

--karl

Old 12-08-2000, 09:19 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
karl, I think LS is a 'good' thing not a 'bad' thing. From what I read in gdblake's original post, LS had nothing to do with what happened to him. He was hydroplaning plain and simple. I have LS and yes the rear has whipped around me in the wet but, that was because of my big right size 12.

The LS option argument is just like the engine argument.

'SOME' people who didn't get the 5.4 wish they had.
'NO' people who got the 5.4 wish they hadn't.

'SOME' people who didn't get LS wish they had.
'NO' people who got LS wish they hadn't.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:02 PM
Thank you all very much for your replies. I've been gone for 3 wks and haven't had access to a computer. Have a safe, happy, and healthy Merry Christmas and a great New Year!!

Old 12-08-2000, 02:31 PM
A properly operating LS rear end is safe. The only disadvantage I have experienced is chirping of the rear tires when hitting the gas a bit too much while turning from a stop.

The only time it causes a handling "problem" is when it locks.

Raoul is right. I don't regret getting all my 4WD vehicles with limited slip rear ends. You'll be glad you have it the first time you run one side of your truck onto a muddy shoulder.

Old 12-09-2000, 04:51 AM
Cool

Having had vehicles with both, here's my .02.

LS will tend to fishtail more when you lose traction. Both wheels break free, so the truck can go sideways quicker and easier.

A good example of this comparison is a common low speed turn situation. With an open diff if you get on the gas too much, the unweighted tire (inner) will break loose. The outside tire doesn't spin so it helps maintain lateral stability; it's rolling but not spinning. In the same situation if both tires break loose, the rear end will come out.

Another example.... Assume the left tire has 100% traction, the right side has little or none. With a LS, this would cause the back end to swing to the left. That's why drag racers loose directional control. Even though both tires are "locked" one is providing more forward force than the other.

Same is true off road. Trucks with open diffs won't get the raw traction of those with lockers or LS, but are easier to steer through slippery crap.

Old 12-09-2000, 03:34 PM
Maybe I should have clarified myself. The trouble occurs when the rear end STAYS locked in turns. If it's operating properly and you don't go nuts on the gas pedal, it's safe. I haul a$$ in the rain with confidence.

True, they are more prone to spinouts, but that's usually because of a heavy foot. I have a fairly heavy foot, but have never experienced a spinout. Never had the rear end break away unexpectedly either.

StrangeRanger explained it better than I ever could.

Old 12-10-2000, 12:14 AM
Actually, the normal mode on an LS is locked.
They unlock when the load difference from wheel to wheel exceeds the pre-load on the clutch packs. When that occurs going around a corner, the unit differentiates just like an open diff unitl the load difference drops and the clutch packs reset themselves. When it occurs because of limited traction such as ice or heavy rain, the unladen wheel spins freely, just like an open diff, but, unlike an open diff, the laden wheel also continues to spin. Because of the drag or bias built into the clutch packs, it receives something like 30% of the torque while the unladen wheel receives 70%. On an open rear this is a 0%/100% split.

When you get stuck in snow or mud, this 30% can help you get out if you're not in too deep. On snowy roads where both wheels are slipping, an LS can actually keep you straighter by balancing the driving force between the wheels and by minimizing the side to side shocks when one wheel hits a clear spot. The only time you're going to get power switching from wheel to wheel is when you get into a situation where available traction switches from wheel to wheel, typically in a heavy rain. In those conditions simply back off the throttle a bit and the problem goes away. Hammer it and you deserve what you get. Cruise control isn't smart enough to lift off, don't ever use it in the snow/rain and you'll have no problems.

Personally, I wouldn't have a truck, or any other rear-drive vehicle for that matter, without an LS.

[This message has been edited by StrangeRanger (edited 12-09-2000).]

Old 12-13-2000, 02:11 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
boy oh boy, I guess I am going to have to re-read this thread a few times to figure out what is going on. confusing.

I think I understand how LS works just dont know how to use it or avoid getting myself into trouble.

--karl

Old 12-13-2000, 06:42 PM
Karl,
The beauty of it is you don't have to do anything to use it. Just drive sanely and keep your foot out of it in the ice, snow or heavy rain. A couple hundred lbs. of sand in the back of the bed will help any truck, so do that.

If you're real nervous about it, go find a big EMPTY parking lot (without curbs or wheel stops) and drive around it like an idiot for an hour or so. See exactly what you have to do to get yourself in trouble and how to get out. There won't be any surprises, trust me on this one

[This message has been edited by StrangeRanger (edited 12-13-2000).]

Old 12-14-2000, 02:09 AM
Cool

you also get better burn outs when it is dry.

not to good for the truck though.

Old 12-14-2000, 02:37 AM
Question

I'm hoping to buy/order an F-150 4x2 extended cab (X Plan) in the next few weeks. All this talk of LS spin-outs is making me a tad nervous... We don't get much snow here in sunny So Cal--but some of the roads I drive between here and Flagstaff get icy in the winter, and I drive in the mountains a lot during the summer. Dirt roads, sometimes, for miles... With most of my driving on dry streets/freeway, would y'all still recommend the LS? What tires would be best for these driving conditions? And would a Super Crew (over my budget, but they look so sweet) be any less likely to spin out than the extended cab? (Looked at the AWD Subaru Outback, but I really need a truck to haul all my critters...) Thanks for helping the Worst Case Scenario Poster Girl--

G.P.

[This message has been edited by Good Pups (edited 12-14-2000).]

Old 12-14-2000, 06:10 PM
Get the LS. It's not dangerous, you're no more likely to spin UNLESS you hammer it when it twitches. And, no, it won't twitch appreciably more than an open rear.

As to tires, I've read a lot of good things about the Michelin LTX M/S as an all-season highway tire. Also highly rated are the Bridgestone Dueler H/L and the Pirelli Scorpion S/T. If you're looking more into a highway/all-terrain tire, the equivalents are the Michelin LTX A/S and A/T, the Dueler A/T and the Scorpion A/S and A/T. In a slightly lower price range, there have been some good reports on the BFG Long Trail T/A

[This message has been edited by StrangeRanger (edited 12-14-2000).]

Old 12-14-2000, 09:21 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, StrangeRanger--

Really appreciate the tire suggestions.

Guess I'll go for the LS... and practice in a big, icy parking lot...

I think you said that it would help to carry some weight in the truck bed--is that standard procedure for trucks? Guess a Snug Top wouldn't be enough... darn. ;~)

Thanks again for the info.

G.P.

Quick Reply: LS axle-is it dangerous in rain/snow?