Best u-joints available

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best u-joints available

I am pretty sure that this is covered on here some where but with my lack of sleep and this 56k modem the search results are just way to slow.
I am thinking about replacing my u-joints but wanted to go with a good quality product. It seems that most you buy at the local parts places just do not last. Right now I have about 130K on the factory ones and feel that it is about time to change them out. They are not in terrible shape but I can feel a clunk when I go into drive or reverse and I do hear a slight nosie and vibaration when I let off the gas. I do not want some 100 a joint u-joints but I do want a good quality joint. Preferrably the sealed type as IMO they are stronger and all the sealed types I have fooled with out lasted the greasable type 2 to 1. Thanks

Old 11-14-2001, 03:14 PM
The OEM joints seemed to last a long time. I'd check with Ford and put them back on. Spicer and TRW make good joints too. Aftermarket will probably have zerks, you may be able to get them sealed also.

Old 11-14-2001, 03:20 PM
I would also chech with spicer, You might call up some high performance off-road place, they should be able to hook you up with some awsome stuff!

(gota love this T3 connection) , I fill the same way when i go home to the 56K.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:43 PM
spicer is all i've ever used. we abused u-joints on farm trucks for years pulling trailers and constant 4 wheelin. good luck, Rich.

Old 11-16-2001, 10:19 PM
Insist on Spicer, greasable type u-joints. Undoutably, the BEST.
CAUTION: If replacing u-joints in an aluminum driveshaft, Spicer makes a "special" U-joint that has a distinctive coating that prevents corosion from aluminum to steel components.

The u-joint for aluminum driveshaft is the same as u-joint for steel; except, coating versus non-coating.

Old 11-20-2001, 10:11 PM
Napa heavy duty u-joints. I believe they're made by Spicer. Lifetime warranty. The cross is not drilled for a grease zerk. They grease thru one of the bearing caps. They require a special grease fitting on the grease gun- looks like a fat needle.

Since they don't have the grease zerk hole they are stronger and you don't have to be install them for the correct rotation. Standard drilled joints should be installed so the rotation of the transmission tail shaft pinion turns toward the hole and then the rear drive shaft pinion turns toward the hole NOT away from it. This compresses the hole which is stronger than trying to spread it.

And they're reasonable to boot.

Old 11-22-2001, 12:48 AM
second the napa ones. They are the best to get.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2001, 01:52 AM
What about the ones from Autozone or Advanced Auto?

Quick Reply: Best u-joints available