Puzzled.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Puzzled.

IS THE REAREND IN MY TRUCK A LIMITED SLIP, OR IS IT THAT SUCKY 1-WHEEL DRIVE SET-UP? IT'S A 2001 XL MODEL. CHECK MY SIG. BELOW.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:31 PM
Lightbulb WOLVERINE-

Your sig. doesn't give any information that is relevant to tell this. Most F-150s have an "open" rear differential; the LS is an option which most trucks on the lots do not have. If you can't tell by driving, you can look at the axle code on your driver's side door jamb and decipher the code with a search here or post it. The first character in the 2)character code is usually a "1" for open or a "H" for a LS. There is also a metal tag on one of the rear end cover bolts that has the actual gear ratio.

Old 12-08-2001, 11:53 PM
I guess it does'nt have it. What is an "open" rear differential?

Old 12-09-2001, 04:01 PM
It is a 3.55 rearend. Does that help you any?

Old 12-09-2001, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by WOLVERINE
I guess it does'nt have it. What is an "open" rear differential?
open differential means that you dont have limited slip (only 1 wheel is turning). look in the sticker on the door jamb and see what it says under axle code. post is here and someone will be able to tell you if you have a LS differential or not. hope this helps!

Old 12-09-2001, 04:57 PM
THE AXLE CODE IS 19.

Old 12-09-2001, 05:59 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
WOLVERINE,

You have an open DIfferential. What it means is there is no clutch pack in the differential. What the clutch pack does is hold both axles together most of the time. When you go around a corner, the outer wheel wants to turn at a greater speed than the inner one. When the grond is dry the wheels will not slip because of the traction afforded by the dry surface, this will cause the clutches to slip and allow the wheels to turn at different speeds. When you are on a slipery surface there is often not enough traction for the wheels to cause the clutches to slip so both wheels turn at the same speed causing the truck rear end to slide sideways.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-09-2001, 07:45 PM
THEN I GUESS I'M BETTER OFF WITH THE OPEN END DIFFERENTIAL FOR EVERYDAY DRIVING MOSTLY ON THE HIGHWAY AND AROUND TOWN. AM I RIGHT?

Old 12-09-2001, 10:33 PM
JMC

It is a queation of pereference. I am partial to LS or lockers. It provides twice the traction than an open differential. You have to learn how to drive with a LS differential but, if you can roll down a window, then you have the competance to learn how to drive one.

JMC

Old 12-09-2001, 11:17 PM
LS is the way to go!

I agree with JMC in that the limited slip rear end is preferable in most cases as it does improve traction greatly. I have only ever owned rear drive vehicles and all but 1 had the LS and wow what a difference! My last 2 vechicles have been F-150's and were equiped with the LS. My 99 was a 4.2l xl supercab 2x4 and I never got stuck (onroad) even with our Canadian winters. My present truck is an 01 with the 4x4 orp xlt supercab flareside 5.4l I can't wait to test this thing in the snow! I figure with all 4 wheels locked I will be practically unstopable

The only instance I can think of where the LS could get you in trouble is on a slippery road that has a large crown to it then it might cause your truck to slide towards the ditch at the wrong time. But in my opinion it is an OPTION that is a must have.

Old 12-10-2001, 09:19 AM
JMC

I have been in the large crown on the road situation. I had to use 4x4 to accelerate or the rear end would slip sideways. Maybe I should not have been on the road, but in Quebéc people still travel in snow storms.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Puzzled.