Viberation at 45 to 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viberation at 45 to 60 mph

I own a 99 F150 XLT Super Cab Long Bed. I'm getting a viberation between 45 to 60 mph through the drivetrain. When truck was in warranty the dealer couldn't find problem and said driveshaft, u-joints, carrier bearing ect. was ok. Has anyone had a problem like this or is this normal with a SuperCab/Longbed. I need help. Thanks Jack

Old 12-29-2001, 10:59 AM
A vibration at that speed isn't normal. Since they replaced all the obvious things i would say the driveshaft is out of balance. Is the truck 4wd? Have them remove the rear drive shaft and drive it in 4 high to see if the problem disappears. Or maybe they have another truck on the lot that they can take a driveshaft from temporarily.

-Jon

Old 12-30-2001, 09:29 AM
Viberation on 99 XLT

Ford4ever, (Jon)

Jon, The truck is a two wheel drive. When truck was in warranty Ford said drivetrain was ok they didn't replace any parts. The problem is I didn't go back to the dealer and keep harassing them. (Which is my fault). I needed the truck everyday. After the warranty period was over and viberation was getting more obvious I did go back and they said they wouldn't do anything. So I guess I'm stuck with this along with a cracked door which I noticed last week.
I purchased a new F150 for my dad a month ago and it wasn't the dealer I purchased mine from. Thanks for your time and if you come up with anything else please let me know.

Jack

Old 12-30-2001, 09:40 AM
Try talking to the Ford area rep. If you had a complaint while the truck was in warrenty that they never fixed sometimes you can get them to cover it after the warrenty is up. I see this happen occasionally at the dealership i work at. It's worth a try anyway.

-Jon

Old 01-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Mine is a different year, but maybe this will be of interest.

I leased a 2002 F-150 extended cab, with the 4.2L V-6 and manual transmission on December 16, 2001. I noticed the vibration/shimmy problem after a couple of days. If I accelerate slowly from about 35 to 45mph, the truck starts to vibrate pretty badly in that range (and maybe some other speeds too, but it's harder to document). It's been in the shop a couple of times since, and last night I went back to the dealership for the "final confrontation."

They told me over the phone that this was "normal" for the F-150, and that they couldn't do anything about it. I went in and had a test drive with the service manager, who told me that this is a known problem and that they have been gathering statistics for Ford for some time now. I wasn't very satisfied with his answer, and I wasn't going to take him at his word that this was a normal thing so I asked to drive another F-150 from the lot. He said, "no problem," and went off to get another truck. Well, to my utter amazement, the truck I drove from the lot was as bad if not worse than mine.

I guess I feel a little better knowing that my truck isn't a lemon, but I'm very disappointed. My last lease was a nearly identical 2000 F-150 (same engine, extended cab, manual trans.) that didn't exhibit this behavior.

Oh, btw, the service manager also said the problem isn't quite as bad on the automatic models, and non-existent in the regular cab and 4x4 models.

Just wanted to post my experience.

-Ross H.

Old 01-04-2002, 05:47 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound simplistic but did you have the tires rotated and balanced. Most speed related vibrations are bad or out of balanced tires.
I hope this helps...

Old 01-05-2002, 09:58 AM
My 2000 does the same thing at 40 mph almost as if the the truck is hopping. Have rebalanced and rotated tires twice no change Now have 23,000 miles on truck vibration is the same now as when new. This is the only problem I have with an otherwise fine truck

Old 01-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello to all. Just a shot in the dark here but I seem to remember a thread about transmission tailshaft bearings working loose on our trucks causing the driveshaft to wobble as if it were out of balance.

Take a look at this , maybe it can help you?

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2002, 04:57 AM
Thanks for all your help! I'm going to try a tailshaft bushing first and go from there. Thanks again, Jack

Quick Reply: Viberation at 45 to 60 mph